Dutch Mad Scientist Creates Bio-Weapon That Could Kill Billions.

Started by jimmy olsen, November 29, 2011, 10:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Ideologue on December 20, 2011, 09:00:55 PM
QuoteIt is a nightmare scenario

What needless editorializing.

A artificially-mutated deadly flu superstrain which can be transmitted via ambient air qualifies as a nightmare scenario to me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Martinus

Anyway, it's winter and tamiflu manufacturers need a profit boost. Since we did not come up with a new "deadly" flu virus this year (remember the billions who died from swine flu or avian flu?) we needed to invent one.  :rolleyes:

Drakken

Quote from: Martinus on December 21, 2011, 03:20:41 AM
Anyway, it's winter and tamiflu manufacturers need a profit boost. Since we did not come up with a new "deadly" flu virus this year (remember the billions who died from swine flu or avian flu?) we needed to invent one.  :rolleyes:

It won't get out anytime soon. The current discussion is to transfer the research on these mutated strains from biohazard level-3 to level-4 security to make it even less likely to get out through accidentally-infected researchers, or through a terrorist attack.

As for "censuring" Nature and those kinds of peer-review papers, I'm torn on this issue. It infringes on the inherent need to circulate information and research results in the scientific community, but the potential hazards if these are known for terrorists or rogue states that DO have the facilities to manipulate and mutate the strain might make it "acceptable" to severely limit this circulation, at least among a very tightly-knit circle of researchers and facilities. After all, the American and immigrant scientists in the Manhattan Project certainly did not publicize all their research work on how they build the A-Bomb and made it work, for obvious security reasons, so there are precedents.

As for the swine flu, it's not because it was a hoisted petard in hindsight that it wasn't potentially dangerous, and Tamiflu was quite effective on those mild-to-moderately severe cases of infection. We got VERY lucky this time that the random mutations didn't make it more dangerous that it was, but it certainly was the pandemic that was long overdue for this generation.

lustindarkness

Should we revisist this thread a year from today? December 21, 2012?  :ph34r:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Darth Wagtaros

I'll tell you what though, I'm gonna be playin more Pandemic 2 as a result of this thread. Good on you Timmay.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 21, 2011, 06:24:36 PM
I'll tell you what though, I'm gonna be playin more Pandemic 2 as a result of this thread. Good on you Timmay.

close the port.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on December 21, 2011, 01:42:06 PM
It won't get out anytime soon. The current discussion is to transfer the research on these mutated strains from biohazard level-3 to level-4 security to make it even less likely to get out through accidentally-infected researchers, or through a terrorist attack.

As for "censuring" Nature and those kinds of peer-review papers, I'm torn on this issue. It infringes on the inherent need to circulate information and research results in the scientific community, but the potential hazards if these are known for terrorists or rogue states that DO have the facilities to manipulate and mutate the strain might make it "acceptable" to severely limit this circulation, at least among a very tightly-knit circle of researchers and facilities. After all, the American and immigrant scientists in the Manhattan Project certainly did not publicize all their research work on how they build the A-Bomb and made it work, for obvious security reasons, so there are precedents.

Listened to some eggheads (including the head of the NSABB) discussing the virus mutation research on the Diane Rehm show yesterday.  They were pretty confident that the problem wasn't the accidental spread of the virus, as the security at the facilities was plenty good enough.  The issue was how to get the relevant data (what the resulting virus looks like) out to virus strain, and that any competent biologist with an appropriately equipped lab can duplicate it in 3-5 years even without knowing any of the steps in the two successful projects (and could, indeed, have done so before this particular research was carried out).  The issue, as they saw it, was really whether a virus could be developed before some sinister types could create the virus.  Of course, the sinister types have much more incentive to do the research now that they know the virus can be produced (if, indeed, this virus actually does transmit from human to human), but all agreed that this was research that needed to be done, and that it was done responsibly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!