Main Menu

First Amendment Under Attack

Started by jimmy olsen, November 28, 2011, 01:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 28, 2011, 04:10:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2011, 04:03:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2011, 03:37:37 PM
I thought there was something in the civil service regs about political acitivity.  No volunteering for campaigns, that kind of stuff.

There are.  Up here volunteering for campaigns is fine, but I have to stay out of any public role.  But I can stuff all the envelopes that I want to.

BB you should re-read the applicable sections of the Public Service Act.  You are even able to run for public office with consent.  Your notion expressed early in the thread of complete impartiality of all public servants has not been accurate since 1991 (the date of the SCC Osborne case).

I could run for office - as long as I took a leave without pay to do so.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2011, 04:12:19 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 28, 2011, 04:09:02 PM
I thought there was something in the civil service regs about political acitivity.  No volunteering for campaigns, that kind of stuff.

There are.  Up here volunteering for campaigns is fine, but I have to stay out of any public role.  But I can stuff all the envelopes that I want to.
could you do pro-bono work for a politician? I don't know what that would entail. Editing legal stuff like bills and the like i guess.

Actual, since you're working for the crown, can you do any other kind of legal work? or is that looked down upon?

The problem is insurance.  Working for the government I don't carry any professional liability insurance (government self-insures), which means if I did legal work outside of work I would have no insurance.

Plus pro bono work is supposed to be work that helps the community.  But my work already helps the community.

Also conflicts, I would think?  Unless you were practicing out of the criminal sphere.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on November 28, 2011, 04:13:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2011, 04:12:19 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 28, 2011, 04:09:02 PM

could you do pro-bono work for a politician? I don't know what that would entail. Editing legal stuff like bills and the like i guess.

Actual, since you're working for the crown, can you do any other kind of legal work? or is that looked down upon?

The problem is insurance.  Working for the government I don't carry any professional liability insurance (government self-insures), which means if I did legal work outside of work I would have no insurance.

Plus pro bono work is supposed to be work that helps the community.  But my work already helps the community.

Also conflicts, I would think?  Unless you were practicing out of the criminal sphere.

There's that too.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2011, 04:12:56 PM

BB you should re-read the applicable sections of the Public Service Act.  You are even able to run for public office with consent.  Your notion expressed early in the thread of complete impartiality of all public servants has not been accurate since 1991 (the date of the SCC Osborne case).

That is just one small example of where you were wrong. ;)

HVC

that's a weird loop hole. "As a civil servant you can still run for public office... you just can't come to work or get paid" :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on November 28, 2011, 04:19:23 PM
that's a weird loop hole. "As a civil servant you can still run for public office... you just can't come to work or get paid" :lol:

It is almost impossible to fire a civil servant so job tenure is important.  Being able to take a leave of absence to run for political office is therefore a significant advantage.   

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 28, 2011, 04:18:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2011, 04:12:56 PM

That is just one small example of where you were wrong. ;)

:huh:

I already knew that.  I haven't been trying to lay out a comprehensive listing of what public servants can or can not do.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 28, 2011, 04:21:30 PM

It is almost impossible to fire a civil servant so job tenure is important.  Being able to take a leave of absence to run for political office is therefore a significant advantage.  
oh right, forgot about tenure. Could someone, in theory, who worked for 5 years take leave get appointed for say 25 years and then come back at 30 years tenure? or is there a cut off point?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 28, 2011, 03:54:29 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 28, 2011, 03:15:33 PM
It's the government acting with dominium, not imperium.

We Yanks live in a real democracy, not some bastardized wannabe neo-Roman Empire with periodic voting. 
:XD:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2011, 03:20:44 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 28, 2011, 03:15:33 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 28, 2011, 02:34:49 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 28, 2011, 01:47:00 PM
How the hell this is the case of the First Amendment at all???

It is government action imposing a deleterious consqeunce on a citizen for the sole reason that that citizen exercised his speech rights in a particular way.

How could not not be a First Amendment issue?

It's the government acting with dominium, not imperium. As such its actions are no different than those of a private company.

At least up here, the government (and NOT private business) must comply with the Charter of Rights in everything that it does.  You'd never say "well the government should be treated like a private company" when it comes to respecting human rights.

It's not considered a human right to hold a government job, is it? 

Not a rhetorical question--I certainly wouldn't hold that there is a human right to hold a government job, but I have no idea what the Canadian courts would say about it.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on November 28, 2011, 04:45:02 PM
It's not considered a human right to hold a government job, is it? 

Not a rhetorical question--I certainly wouldn't hold that there is a human right to hold a government job, but I have no idea what the Canadian courts would say about it.

Pretty sure it is a question of what your rights are when you hold a government job, not that you have a right to said job.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: dpsIt's not considered a human right to hold a government job, is it? 

:hmm:

:P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2011, 04:23:46 PM
I already knew that.  I haven't been trying to lay out a comprehensive listing of what public servants can or can not do.

Earlier you were taking the line that a public servant had to be apolitical and could not express a public political view.  That is incorrect as such a wide restriction is contrary to the Charter - see Osborne.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on November 28, 2011, 04:31:12 PM
Could someone, in theory, who worked for 5 years take leave get appointed for say 25 years and then come back at 30 years tenure? or is there a cut off point?

I would assume that the length of time away would be a factor in whether to grant consent.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on November 28, 2011, 04:31:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 28, 2011, 04:21:30 PM

oh right, forgot about tenure. Could someone, in theory, who worked for 5 years take leave get appointed for say 25 years and then come back at 30 years tenure? or is there a cut off point?

Well for starters you certainly wouldn't come back at 30 years tenure.