News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

America, Fuck Yeah

Started by Ed Anger, November 26, 2011, 09:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on November 27, 2011, 06:42:42 AM
On NY it brings to mind the Outcasts series (Bova I think?) and the bit where the main character is lost in New York after dark and frantically trying to get himself inside a fortress house lest he be killed by the gangs.... Sci-fi from the 70s is quite interesting, they really extrapolate these problems of the time- urban decay, the potential for food shortages, etc.... and take them to extremes....extremes that we know never came to pass because solutions were found.

Some interesting photos there.

I think it was because the problems were never as bad depicted.  For instance, I don't think there's been food shortages since WWII.  And that was because of rationing.  Urban decay is a problem (and hasn't been solved in all places.  Just look at Detroit).  I don't think pollution has been "solved" but it's been contained for the time being.  I wasn't alive in the 1950's and 1960's but from what I read smog and water pollution were really bad back then.  Similar to the way China is now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Damn, the one from the NY subway only lacks a few gang members in funky uniforms and it could be used as stock footage from "The Warriors".

Admiral Yi

When I visited NYC in the 70's I was terrified of riding the subway.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 26, 2011, 10:40:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2011, 10:26:30 PM
I like pictures of 1970s New York. It looks like such a dystopian hellhole.
I think it looks interesting and quite cool.  It's the sort of New York I imagine from the films.
Sort of makes you wanna re-watch The Warriors doesn't it?   NYC was and still is a garbage dump of the greatest proportions, if not necessarily, the most dour garbage dump in existence.
PDH!

Ed Anger

I'll just rewatch Death Wish.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

QuoteSmoke and gas from the burning of discarded automobile batteries pours into the sky near Houston, Texas, in July of 1972.

I can't imagine how that could not turn out well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Those kids are more skilled handling firearms than most adults.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 27, 2011, 06:23:36 PM
Sort of makes you wanna re-watch The Warriors doesn't it?   NYC was and still is a garbage dump of the greatest proportions, if not necessarily, the most dour garbage dump in existence.

OK.

That said many of the subway lines look very similar to what they look like in the Warriors. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 11:49:09 AM
Sort of makes you wanna re-watch The Warriors doesn't it?   NYC was and still is a garbage dump of the greatest proportions, if not necessarily, the most dour garbage dump in existence.

OK.

That said many of the subway lines look very similar to what they look like in the Warriors. :weep:
I'll give NYC this much, that Sachs Fifth Avenue 3D light show looks friggin amazing.  But outside of that and Pomme Frittes?
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 29, 2011, 04:27:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 11:49:09 AM

OK.

I'll give NYC this much, that Sachs Fifth Avenue 3D light show looks friggin amazing.  But outside of that and Pomme Frittes?

:x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.