Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on November 26, 2011, 04:59:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 26, 2011, 03:04:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2011, 02:12:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2011, 02:06:26 PM
Hopefully it does not.
Why not?
Just to annoy you.  And then they'll stop looking.
Nope.  What you're forgetting is that most NASA scientists are Tims with PhDs.
Perhaps, but high profile failures make Congress unwilling to fund science, primarily because Congressmen are horribly stupid.  Nevertheless, sometimes it works to our advantage in annoying Tim.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on November 26, 2011, 06:24:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2011, 06:23:27 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2011, 02:12:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2011, 02:06:26 PM
Hopefully it does not.
Why not?
We've been over this before.  Finding life in the solar system is a really bad sign.
I don't recall that discussion.

Great Filter.  Something keeps aliens from visiting Earth.  Or being seen from Earth.  We don't know what it is.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter  Finding life on Mars moves that filter up a step.  If that filter moves up to a point beyond where we are, then it's unlikely we'll have interstellar travel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2011, 06:31:34 PM
Great Filter.  Something keeps aliens from visiting Earth.  Or being seen from Earth.  We don't know what it is.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter  Finding life on Mars moves that filter up a step.  If that filter moves up to a point beyond where we are, then it's unlikely we'll have interstellar travel.
It's unlikely that we'll have interstellar travel.

That said, I don't think that life on Mars, past or present, makes a difference.

Siege

"There is a 95% chance of extinction within 9120 years." (Doomsday Argument)

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on November 26, 2011, 07:16:29 PM

That said, I don't think that life on Mars, past or present, makes a difference.

I should have made myself more clear.  When I said "we", I meant the Human species.  Not "Razgovory and Neil".  I think it's unlikely that the two of us will have interstellar travel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2011, 08:06:11 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 26, 2011, 07:16:29 PM

I should have made myself more clear.  When I said "we", I meant the Human species.  Not "Razgovory and Neil".  I think it's unlikely that the two of us will have interstellar travel.
The human species isn't likely to have interstellar travel at any point.  The ramscoop is a great idea that probably won't work, and the devoting the resources to anything else isn't feasible.

Razgovory

Yeah, the Ramscoop looked like the idea, but it looks like it won't work in our part of the galaxy.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 26, 2011, 04:59:21 PM
Nope.  What you're forgetting is that most NASA scientists are Tims with PhDs.

Having a PhD in some scientific discipline sort a precludes you from be so credulous in scientific matters.