Started by Hansmeister, April 28, 2009, 06:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Habbaku on April 28, 2009, 10:34:48 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2009, 10:33:41 PM
What's your first language?

:huh:

It certainly ain't english.

Believe me, I have a foreign accent, and I can recognize one.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

Ok, Hans, you got me.

I think he was born in Germany.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on April 28, 2009, 10:34:48 PM

:huh:

his obvious difficulty with vowels, prepositions and other grammatical issues don't impress you?

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: Viking on April 29, 2009, 12:28:41 AM
his obvious difficulty with vowels, prepositions and other grammatical issues don't impress you?

Apparently it is not common knowledge that Hans is Germanic and speaks it.  The years of Yi making light of it and Hans mentioning it still hasn't sunk in, I suppose.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2009, 10:25:31 PM
I love the suit.

Ok Hans, spill the beans. Where is your accent from?

German-- he's stated several times that he was born in Germany & his mother (?) was German.

Having a foreign accent actually seems to help when it comes to think-tanks-- at least the conservative or libertarian ones.  Seems like most of the dudes on the Cato podcast have furren accents.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on April 29, 2009, 12:33:45 AM
Apparently it is not common knowledge that Hans is Germanic and speaks it.  The years of Yi making light of it and Hans mentioning it still hasn't sunk in, I suppose.

Or people might not care to pay attention. I don't follow Hans's life.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

OMG now I will hear all Hans's posts as if read in my head by a fat guy with a nervous, girly voice. Talk about ruining Languish.  :mad:

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2009, 12:43:14 AM

I'll remember that next time you give Tim shit for not knowing your first name.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Quote from: Habbaku on April 29, 2009, 12:45:51 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2009, 12:43:14 AM

Isn't his first name garbon? It's easy to remember since it's next to his posts. :)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on April 29, 2009, 12:43:57 AM
OMG now I will hear all Hans's posts as if read in my head by a fat guy with a nervous, girly voice. Talk about ruining Languish.  :mad:

Substitute Dick Cheney's voice. That should work.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on April 29, 2009, 12:45:51 AM

Be my guest. :)

Thankfully, my name doesn't come up all that often.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 29, 2009, 12:46:42 AM
Isn't his first name garbon? It's easy to remember since it's next to his posts. :)

Just cuz I didn't accept your friend request. :P

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 29, 2009, 12:47:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 29, 2009, 12:43:57 AM

Substitute Dick Cheney's voice. That should work.
It won't be the same. Once I hear their real voice, the magic of substitution is gone. It would be the same if, say, I heard CdM talking and found out he doesn't really sound like Duffy Duck.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2009, 12:50:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 29, 2009, 12:46:42 AM

Just cuz I didn't accept your friend request. :P
You accepted it, but then you didn't the second time, after I de-friended you.