News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ubisoft games - poster children for piracy?

Started by Syt, November 24, 2011, 12:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2011, 09:12:27 AMWhat do you mean then?
Like farmville and such crap?

Yup. Like I said, have a look at World of Tanks.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2011, 12:39:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2011, 11:58:05 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2011, 11:54:00 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 28, 2011, 07:42:07 PMNo, the lesson is that people have vivid imaginations.

We'll just have to disagree on that.

Well didn't you yourself say that piracy is certainly an issue because those who make decisions perceive it to be one?

That doesn't preclude it from being an actual one.  Some people perceive things as problems that are actual problems.

I'm sure it is some degree of a problem but from Jake's posts it sounded like the industry could be blowing the problem out of proportion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 09:45:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2011, 12:39:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2011, 11:58:05 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2011, 11:54:00 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 28, 2011, 07:42:07 PMNo, the lesson is that people have vivid imaginations.

We'll just have to disagree on that.

Well didn't you yourself say that piracy is certainly an issue because those who make decisions perceive it to be one?

That doesn't preclude it from being an actual one.  Some people perceive things as problems that are actual problems.

I'm sure it is some degree of a problem but from Jake's posts it sounded like the industry could be blowing the problem out of proportion.

You don't have to listen to Jake to figure that out though - the industry is going to blow it out of proportion because they have a vested interest in doing so.

It is like asking an auto insurance salesman how much fraudulent auto claims impact the industry.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 28, 2011, 11:40:42 AMAnd Econ 101 tells you that ceteris paribas, that will result in less supply of that good to the market than would otherwise exist.

And then what happens, when you consider the situation Crédit Suisse mutandis ?

Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

I guess Berkut is going to ignore me because I revealed he made a fool of himself. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Yes, that is the reason. You've figured me out. Congratulations. Please keep your personal bullshit in the main forum though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Slargos

It appears that the only available consensus here is that Ubisoft produces shit-caked product.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

It came bundled with my vidcard. I hated it. It was so badly ported you had to play it like a console game, with a handful of keys emulating gamepad buttons. If that's the way most games get ported it's no wonder they sell poorly on PCs.

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on November 29, 2011, 05:55:26 PM
It came bundled with my vidcard. I hated it. It was so badly ported you had to play it like a console game, with a handful of keys emulating gamepad buttons. If that's the way most games get ported it's no wonder they sell poorly on PCs.

Oh definitely agree with that. That's why I switched to playing the rest of the series on a console.

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2011, 10:09:34 AM
You don't have to listen to Jake to figure that out though - the industry is going to blow it out of proportion because they have a vested interest in doing so.

It is like asking an auto insurance salesman how much fraudulent auto claims impact the industry.

I have an honest question for you Berk.  I have been following this thread from the start, so I might have missed something but if I did it was unintentional.  I am not trying to trap you, or get you to restate something you already have; no bullshit.

What is the industry's vested interest in blowing the piracy problem out of proportion?  I mean if they don't want to make PC games anymore, for any reason, why do they need a scapegoat?  Why can't they just say "PC gamers are whiny bitches and consoles are easy to develop for and more profitable."

I don't see where they lose anything by just saying F You to PC gamers if that is their intention.  What, are PC only gamers going to boycott games that are not made for their system?  Console players won't care, they still get their game.  The very small group that owns/uses both aren't likely to just give up gaming completely, talk about cutting off your own nose to spite your face.

I just don't get the end game here for the PC devs in blaming something that isn't really a problem.

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on November 29, 2011, 05:55:26 PM

Yeah, I tried it for the PC.  unplayable.  I guess I could have gotten a controller, but fuck it.

dps

Again, d'oh.  Every industry is going to blow its problems out of proportion.  That doesn't mean that we (as in society in general) should just ignore those problems.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on November 29, 2011, 06:44:39 PM

I have an honest question for you Berk.  I have been following this thread from the start, so I might have missed something but if I did it was unintentional.  I am not trying to trap you, or get you to restate something you already have; no bullshit.

What is the industry's vested interest in blowing the piracy problem out of proportion?  I mean if they don't want to make PC games anymore, for any reason, why do they need a scapegoat?  Why can't they just say "PC gamers are whiny bitches and consoles are easy to develop for and more profitable."

I don't see where they lose anything by just saying F You to PC gamers if that is their intention.  What, are PC only gamers going to boycott games that are not made for their system?  Console players won't care, they still get their game.  The very small group that owns/uses both aren't likely to just give up gaming completely, talk about cutting off your own nose to spite your face.

I just don't get the end game here for the PC devs in blaming something that isn't really a problem.

Because it makes it a lot easier and much more palatable to have a reason.  Telling PC Gamers that they can't be bothered to make reasonable ports is failing at basic PR.  They avoid that issue if they point to the dastardly pirates preventing them from being honest and fair to their PC fans.