And we're back!

Main Menu

Literacy in the Roman Empire

Started by jimmy olsen, November 24, 2011, 01:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2011, 07:20:43 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2011, 06:17:36 PM
You guys are forgetting that the main use of literacy aside from religion is to do accounting, basically so that nobles can extract their share from the peasants, higer nobles from lower, and the king from everyone; and that this task is more complex and not simpler in cash-poor economies.

When calculating how many cows someone owes me do I carry the remainder with chickens or pigs?  :hmm:
Actually, it's a pretty well respected theory in anthropology that civilization arises out of the need to organize irrigation and cultivation.  Literacy would seem to be the next step from that.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

In the absence of any good estimation of Roman literacy based on hard evidence from their time I think that your best bet may be to simply compare the general level of organization to later eras, find an era that seems to match, and look at the literacy at this later date (where much more evidence is available). I would guess that as a first approximation this is as good as it gets.

After thinking about this for 30 seconds my impression is that Western Europe reached Roman levels of societal organization very roughly around 1700. Of course you can also look at possible smaller areas that reached the level earlier and so on, the more data points the merrier. Especially interesting to compare eras before and after printing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Quote from: The Brain on November 26, 2011, 02:28:09 AM
In the absence of any good estimation of Roman literacy based on hard evidence from their time I think that your best bet may be to simply compare the general level of organization to later eras, find an era that seems to match, and look at the literacy at this later date (where much more evidence is available). I would guess that as a first approximation this is as good as it gets.

After thinking about this for 30 seconds my impression is that Western Europe reached Roman levels of societal organization very roughly around 1700. Of course you can also look at possible smaller areas that reached the level earlier and so on, the more data points the merrier. Especially interesting to compare eras before and after printing.

I would have guessed around 1300 also, before the black death.

DontSayBanana

You guys are forgetting that the main use of literacy aside from religion is to do accounting, basically so that nobles can extract their share from the peasants, higer nobles from lower, and the king from everyone; and that this task is more complex and not simpler in cash-poor economies.

Hense such Medieval documents as the "Domesday Book" - the whole point of which was to make sure William the Bastard got what he was owed.

Illiterate nobles there may have been, but that put them at the mercy of their clerks, a major disadvantage.

The flaw in this argument is that literacy for accounting purposes is relatively simple; in no way does it rule out functional illiteracy.  There's the (likely, IMO) possibility that nobles were taught what they needed to know for accountancy, but still needed an advisor to read off letters from other nobles, likely prepared by a similar advisor.  The whole concept of the wax seal would suggest this- the seals functioned as a signature; given literacy and the uniqueness of handwriting, seals would have been unnecessary and redundant.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 26, 2011, 09:46:50 AM

Hense such Medieval documents as the "Domesday Book" - the whole point of which was to make sure William the Bastard got what he was owed.

Illiterate nobles there may have been, but that put them at the mercy of their clerks, a major disadvantage.

The flaw in this argument is that literacy for accounting purposes is relatively simple; in no way does it rule out functional illiteracy.  There's the (likely, IMO) possibility that nobles were taught what they needed to know for accountancy, but still needed an advisor to read off letters from other nobles, likely prepared by a similar advisor.  The whole concept of the wax seal would suggest this- the seals functioned as a signature; given literacy and the uniqueness of handwriting, seals would have been unnecessary and redundant.

The concept of seals is still in use in the form of official stamps and such, seals are not only a signature.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Threviel on November 26, 2011, 08:39:27 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 26, 2011, 02:28:09 AM

I would have guessed around 1300 also, before the black death.
I was thinking 1200 BC.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Feudal accounting was done via notches on sticks or somesuch (called tally sticks, hence the modern term "to tally"). No need to be literate for that.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on November 26, 2011, 02:32:15 PM

Feudal accounting was done via notches on sticks or somesuch (called tally sticks, hence the modern term "to tally"). No need to be literate for that.

History of England Podcast?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

When the bushels of grain your owed comes into the hundreds or thousands, tally sticks just don't cut it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Well, the Normans who ruled England used a checker piece of cloth.  Hence the office of the exchequer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2011, 06:25:13 PM
Well, the Normans who ruled England used a checker piece of cloth.  Hence the office of the exchequer.

And they held council meetings in the toilet.  Hence the office of Lord Privy Seal.

Razgovory

Ideologue

It was all right, as an intentional groaner.  Raz, you need to get off Yi's case.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory