NO!
13 (25.5%)
I'm too stupid to know!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2011, 02:18:24 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on November 24, 2011, 01:51:00 PM
shocking to see that a large percentage of Languishites were thrashed as children... then again, I think that just means we are old.
That said, giving a 5 year old a smack to remind him to stay in the present world and pay attention is worlds away from waling on a teenager with a belt in a fit of rage.

This is something I find a weird. There was no habit of it but when I was 16 if my father tried to beat me with his belt, I would have fought back.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 24, 2011, 02:33:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2011, 02:18:24 PM
shocking to see that a large percentage of Languishites were thrashed as children... then again, I think that just means we are old.
That said, giving a 5 year old a smack to remind him to stay in the present world and pay attention is worlds away from waling on a teenager with a belt in a fit of rage.

This is something I find a weird. There was no habit of it but when I was 16 if my father tried to beat me with his belt, I would have fought back.

I suppose it helps if your kid is a chronically ill girl, like the one in the video of the Texan Judge.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 24, 2011, 06:59:24 AM
Yes altho my father was really good at making me scared of the punishment so he didn't actually have to do it.

Thinking back, I certainly remember being threatened with the wooden spoon, but I don't remember ever being hit with it. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

As far as disciplinary measures go, my wife has adopted one of threatening the kid with telling me about his misbehaviours when I get back. It seems the mere threat of this causes him much anxiety, though lord knows why - as I said, I don't physically punish him. He just doesn't like it hanging over him.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Well so far we're having great success with time outs in the crib - he screams like the dickens for a minute, but ocne he's quiet for just a few seconds we go and get him, and he's so relieved to see us again that whatever tantrum was going on was averted.

Martinus

The poll question is posed in a retarded way. Hardly any parent does not spank the kid EVER. I guess the OP was spanked too much on the head.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2011, 03:55:34 PM
Well so far we're having great success with time outs in the crib - he screams like the dickens for a minute, but ocne he's quiet for just a few seconds we go and get him, and he's so relieved to see us again that whatever tantrum was going on was averted.

Time-outs work great until about 5 or so. Then, not so much. I find taking away toys & privileges works better now.

Mind you, Carl's a great kid. He's never mean-spirited or willfully nasty, and hardly ever gets angry - tantrums were never common with him and are now a thing of the past. Almost invariably, his transgressions involve him not paying attention, or wanting to play with something rather than do what he's been told, or weedling and whining about wanting something. 

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2011, 04:01:00 PM
The poll question is posed in a retarded way. Hardly any parent does not spank the kid EVER.

Maybe in Poland. In a civilized country like Sweden normal people don't spank their kids.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Maximus on November 24, 2011, 02:30:46 PM
Not infrequently. There were all sorts of unspoken "rules" about it that I found out as I grew older. Spanking while angry was verboten, for example.

I guess for people who do not believe in violence against children (like me) this is worse. I can understand, if not condone, giving in to a temptation of a heated moment and smacking a kid who is insufferable. On the other hand, the cold and calculated corporeal punishment is monstrous and inhuman.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2011, 04:01:00 PM

The poll question is posed in a retarded way. Hardly any parent does not spank the kid EVER. I guess the OP was spanked too much on the head.

How would you phrase it then?  Most kids aren't spanked every day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2011, 04:05:11 PM
Not infrequently. There were all sorts of unspoken "rules" about it that I found out as I grew older. Spanking while angry was verboten, for example.

I guess for people who do not believe in violence against children (like me) this is worse. I can understand, if not condone, giving in to a temptation of a heated moment and smacking a kid who is insufferable. On the other hand, the cold and calculated corporeal punishment is monstrous and inhuman.

IMagine most people would believe the reverse.

Razgovory

I think being old has something to do with it.  It was really going out of style when I was growing up.

As you can imagine, sending me to my room never really worked for me.

"Go to your room young man!",

"Hooray!  I don't have to be outside anymore!".

Usually I didn't need to be punished, since I always felt guilty about things.  Very guilty, even to the point I would feel guilty if I hadn't done something wrong.    I do remember the time I lit the backyard on fire, I felt bad about that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2011, 03:52:01 PM
As far as disciplinary measures go, my wife has adopted one of threatening the kid with telling me about his misbehaviours when I get back. It seems the mere threat of this causes him much anxiety, though lord knows why - as I said, I don't physically punish him. He just doesn't like it hanging over him.

I recall a survey that a young teacher gave our class, back when I was 10. The most feared punishment, by far, was for the teacher to inform our parents about our misdeeds. This was back in the 60s, fairly severe lashing with a leather strap was also an option (also the least feared). I think that the threat of a united front of disapproval was the chief worry, so worrying that most people would adjust their behaviour appropriately  :hmm:

I think it is quite a severe punishment btw, children prefer the immediate punishment and rapid return to normality, I've used it myself of course, but sparingly.

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 24, 2011, 05:14:02 PM
I recall a survey that a young teacher gave our class, back when I was 10. The most feared punishment, by far, was for the teacher to inform our parents about our misdeeds. This was back in the 60s, fairly severe lashing with a leather strap was also an option (also the least feared). I think that the threat of a united front of disapproval was the chief worry, so worrying that most people would adjust their behaviour appropriately  :hmm:

I think it is the fact it isn't over but hangs over him like a dark cloud.

But yeah, he hates it.

QuoteI think it is quite a severe punishment btw, children prefer the immediate punishment and rapid return to normality, I've used it myself of course, but sparingly.

Yes, she uses it only for major transgressions (well, major by his standards) - that is, infrequently.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2011, 04:05:11 PM

You can condone people hitting their kids in when they lose their temper.  I would hope most people are not like you.