Texas Judge belts teenage daughter on camera for using internet for illegal DLs

Started by Syt, November 23, 2011, 03:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wl9y3SIPt7o#!

(Video comment:
Quote2004: Aransas County Court-At-Law Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time. She has had ataxic cerebral palsy from birth that led her to a passion for technology, which was strictly forbidden by her father's backwards views. The judge's wife was emotionally abused herself and was severely manipulated into assisting the beating and should not be blamed for any content in this video. The judge's wife has since left the marriage due to the abuse, which continues to this day, and has sincerely apologized and repented for her part and for allowing such a thing, long before this video was even revealed to exist. Judge William Adams is not fit to be anywhere near the law system if he can't even exercise fit judgement as a parent himself. Do not allow this man to ever be re-elected again. His "judgement" is a giant farce. Signed, Hillary Adams, his daughter.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/texas-judge-caught-whipping-daughter-on-video-steps-aside.html

QuoteIs this video a daughter's revenge on an overly strict and abusive father? Or a misleading glimpse of a Texas judge punishing his daughter for illegally downloading games and music against his orders?

Aransas County authorities said Wednesday that they had launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding this video. Uploaded on YouTube, it purports to show Judge William Adams cursing at his teenage daughter and using a belt to whip her for violating his orders to stay away from the Internet.

Adams has agreed to step aside pending the investigation. He told local TV station KRIS, "It happened years ago. ... I apologized" and added that it's "not as bad as it looks on tape" and that "more will come out" during the probe.

But the court of public opinion has heard enough. The video has logged nearly 695,000 viewings since it was uploaded Oct. 27, sparking public outrage and nearly 36,000 comments, including calls for Adams' firing.

"That is beyond a good ole spanking," one YouTube viewer wrote.

"He should be removed from the bench immediately," another wrote.

"I've never been more disgusted by watching anything ever. My God...," wrote a third.

So many calls, faxes and emailed complaints have rained down on Aransas County in recent days that officials took the unusual step of posting a message on the county's website. It assures the public that an investigation is underway and pleads for an end to the barrage of hate mail. The statement says, in part:

"Aransas County is aware of the video posted on YouTube regarding County Court-at-Law Judge William Adams, and the matter is now under review by the Police Department. Please refrain from communication with County offices or the Sheriff's Department on this matter until the review has been completed. Calls, emails and faxes only create disruptions for other ongoing county business. The public's cooperation would be most appreciated."

The daughter, Hillary Adams, now 23, told the Associated Press that she feels some regret about posting the video but hopes it will force him to get help. She said she set up the video because she "knew something was about to happen."

As part of the YouTube upload, Hillary Adams provided more details about the incident. She said it took place in 2004 "as punishment for using the Internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time." It was unclear why she held onto it all this time, and why she decided to post it now.

Referring to herself in the third person, Hillary Adams said she blames her actions on a medical condition. "She has had ataxic cerebral palsy from birth that led her to a passion for technology, which was strictly forbidden by her father's backwards views."

In the video, her father can be heard cursing and hollering at her for disobeying him while the girl cries out. The footage also shows the girl's mother engaging in the punishment. The daughter says her mother was not at fault because she was operating under the father's control.

The daughter also calls for her father to step down.

"Judge William Adams is not fit to be anywhere near the law system if he can't even exercise fit judgment as a parent himself. Do not allow this man to ever be reelected again. His 'judgment' is a giant farce. Signed, Hillary Adams, his daughter."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/texas-judge-in-beating-video-says-he-agreed-to-step-aside.html

QuoteA Texas judge who appeared in an Internet video beating his teenage daughter issued a statement saying he agreed this week to be suspended temporarily with pay, noting there has yet to be a "finding of fault or wrongdoing."

The Supreme Court of Texas, in an order posted online Wednesday, said Judge William Adams "voluntarily agrees to a temporary suspension from office, with pay" and that Adams "does not admit guilt, fault, or wrongdoing" for his actions in the video.

Adams, an Aransas County court judge, released a statement to The Times through his lawyer William Dudley on Wednesday saying the suspension resulted from a joint motion he offered with the Texas Commission on Judicial Conduct to deal with fallout from "the dissemination to the public of a family disciplinary event," a reference to the video the commission is investigating.

The statement said Adams agreed to " 'step aside' and allow for a visiting judge to maintain the Aransas County Court of Law daily docket and preside over pending cases."

Adams had been overseeing family case law, often deciding whether parents were fit to raise their children.

The statement noted that Adams' suspension is "neither a fault sanction imposed by the Texas Supreme Court following an adversarial hearing, a finding of fault or wrongdoing by the commission, or admission of fault or wrongdoing by Judge Adams."

In the video, the judge struck his older daughter, Hillary Adams, then 16, repeatedly with a belt, cursing and demanding that she comply with the punishment as his then-wife looked on and at times assisted. Hillary Adams, now 23, posted the video on YouTube last month, saying she secretly recorded it in her bedroom in 2004 after her parents caught her downloading music illegally.

Since it was posted online, the video has been viewed more than 6 million times.

Prosecutors have said the five-year statute of limitations for pursuing charges against Adams in connection with the beating has expired. But the Texas Commission on Judicial Conduct, which could remove Adams from the bench, was still investigating Wednesday, a spokeswoman said.

"It is important to preserve the integrity of all judges in the State of Texas, to promote public confidence in the judiciary, and to encourage judges to maintain high standards of professional conduct," commission Chairman Jorge Rangel said in a statement posted on the commission's website.

Adams has been fighting for visits with his 10-year-old daughter with his ex-wife, Hallie Adams. Earlier in the month, a judge placed a temporary restraining order on Judge Adams, barring him from being alone with the girl. A ruling was expected Wednesday. Hallie Adams' lawyer, Brett Pritchard, did not return calls Wednesday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

The mom's comments are like something out of a cheesy tv trama. "Turn around like a 16 year old and take it like a grown woman!" :blink:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Creepy, but this came out like a month ago.

If it was reported back then the Cops would have charged, but the statue of limitations have expired.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Berkut

That is disturbing.

I don't have a problem with corporal punishment in theory, but this is why I won't do it in practice (although my son sometimes makes me think that was a mistake). He isn't punishing her, he is beating her because he is mad she won't do what he says. His motivation is not correcting behavior, but just giving into his own temper.

Been on the other end of that a lot. Won't put myself into a position to be on the end with the belt.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2011, 03:37:33 PM
The mom's comments are like something out of a cheesy tv trama. "Turn around like a 16 year old and take it like a grown woman!" :blink:

Seemed to me like she was doing her best to get the belt away from psycho dad. Although I only watched about half before i had to turn it off.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on November 23, 2011, 03:53:54 PM
That is disturbing.

I don't have a problem with corporal punishment in theory, but this is why I won't do it in practice (although my son sometimes makes me think that was a mistake). He isn't punishing her, he is beating her because he is mad she won't do what he says. His motivation is not correcting behavior, but just giving into his own temper.

His motivation remains coercion, as not doing what he says will amount to a even harsher beating than if she had listened and obeyed. The problem is that the punishment already exceeds the transgression even before she has refused to comply.

I agree with you it's way excessive and it's fueled by his uncontrollable temper, but it remains consistent with correcting behavior nonetheless. Although I must admit, I have never been on the other side of the leather belt. It's tantamount to knouting someone to me.

HVC

why does his beaty stick say kulture?

Damn you valmy! still, answer my question lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2011, 04:23:40 PM
why does his beaty stick say kulture?

Damn you valmy! still, answer my question lol

He is defending the KKKultural values of Texas of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory