News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rentrepreneurship

Started by fhdz, November 22, 2011, 02:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you rent out a bunch of your stuff (stuff you don't use much or use infrequently) to strangers to make some extra scratch?

Sure, why not? I could use the money and am not (at the moment) using the stuff.
No, I'd be concerned they'd steal things.
I am slightly autistic and can't deal with strangers.
Get off my lawn.

fhdz

In the newest Newsweek, there's an article about this dude who's renting everything from time with his dog (to a lady who loves dogs but can't own one because she lives in a no-pets apartment) to his '92 Saab to a trailer in his driveway where people can stay for a couple of nights as they're passing through town. What do you think of this? Is it hippie bullshit or a resourcefulness that can really help folks in a shitty economy?
and the horse you rode in on

chipwich

It's the normal exchange of money for services.  :huh:

DGuller

I wonder what he's going to do once he has a daughter?  :hmm:

fhdz

Quote from: chipwich on November 22, 2011, 02:12:05 AM

Do you rent most of your stuff out to people?

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on November 22, 2011, 02:16:36 AM
I wonder what he's going to do once he has a daughter?  :hmm:

He has one.

chipwich

Quote from: fahdiz on November 22, 2011, 02:17:24 AM
Quote from: chipwich on November 22, 2011, 02:12:05 AM

Do you rent most of your stuff out to people?

I could if I so wish, though I would probably sell instead. In the case of the dog lady, I would do that for free.

Josquius

If people are willing to pay and it doesn't inconvenience you why not.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Wait, someone pays him to look after his dog?

I've got some cats that like people.  Who wants to start the bidding?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Sounds smart, but I'd worry about The Law.  I recall a Harper's article where William T. Vollmann tried to let homeless people camp on his property in Sacramento and got in all sorts of annoyances over by-laws, etc. you might not know about. 

I'd guess that if this got too popular or well-known, the lodging industry for example would demand the police crackdown on the trailer biz, since I'm sure there are all kind of certifications you need to make money renting lodging (rather than just letting people stay with you).

Then there's all the private liability to worry about, though at this point he probably doesn't care, since I doubt he has much to lose.  I'd be interested to see how he goes about renting out a car to people to drive on public streets.  Make sure his customers have their own up-to-date liability insurance?  Insure the car himself for x number of random drivers?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DGuller

I'm not an insurance policy buff, but I have a feeling that you need to get a commercial auto insurance policy if you're renting your car out to others.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah I don't think I'd let anyone rent my stuff.  You can take my dog for a walk and play with it at the park and such if I know you and all that, but I'm not going to charge you for that anyway.  Regular stuff around the house, well, if I'm not using that stuff to where it doesn't matter if I don't have it for a while, I've probably gotten rid of it a long time ago anyway.  Either that, or I don't even know it exists anymore, and if you want to use it I would probably just sell or give it to you instead.  vOv 

And stay away from my car.  Go to Avis if you need one. 

Edit:  The camper thing too:  Get a motel room, hippie.  I don't want to clean up after people and hope they don't break/steal shit in/from my camper.

Ed Anger

I'd only rent to white anglo saxons with a credit rating of 700 or better.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 22, 2011, 11:40:46 AM
I'd only rent to white anglo saxons with a credit rating of 700 or better.

So cruel. :weep:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.