Judge said pimp's "expert" testimony would be 'confusing' to jury

Started by garbon, November 21, 2011, 10:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hard-a-brooklyn-pimp-judge-nixes-anthony-mccord-request-expert-witness-article-1.980872

QuoteIt's hard out there for a pimp - especially in court, where an accused rapist was denied the opportunity to provide jurors with his own expert testimony on pimping.

Anthony McCord, 29, acting as his own lawyer, is expected to testify in Brooklyn Supreme Court that the woman accusing him of robbing and assaulting her was actually a prostitute who stole money from him.

McCord tried to convince a judge that jurors needed an expert - himself - to educate them about the jargon and relationships between pimps and hookers, so they could better evaluate the case.

He said he'd been a pimp since 2000.

In addition, he said, "I've pretty much read every book, saw every movie and heard every song relating to the subject matter."

McCord said he had attended two national conferences on the trade and added, "I'm also a member of a quiet society of pimps."

But Justice Wayne Ozzi quickly shot him down, saying such testimony would only debase the process.

"The danger is you may be confusing the jury," the judge told the defendant. McCord's turn on the stand might still include information about his work, the judge noted, but anything more "is not appropriate at all."

Prosecutors allege that McCord beat and raped a woman who "freelanced" - sold sex without giving him a cut.

He is accused of leaving her with a bruised face and loose teeth following a March 2010 attack in East New York.

Prosecutor Kevin O'Donnell told the judge the trial would "become a side show" if McCord's request were granted.

Expert witnesses often provide testimony about issues like finger prints, DNA or gangs and do not necessarily need to be certified to act as experts.

"This is a unique area to say the least," said lawyer David Walensky, who's acting as McCord's court-appointed legal advisor.

Neither he nor anyone else in court could offer a precedent to McCord's uncommon request.

His trial, sans a pimping expert, is set to start Tuesday.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

I don't see why it couldn't come in as lay opinion based on particularized knowledge, at least if the FRE applied.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2011, 10:45:36 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hard-a-brooklyn-pimp-judge-nixes-anthony-mccord-request-expert-witness-article-1.980872

QuoteIt's hard out there for a pimp - especially in court, where an accused rapist was denied the opportunity to provide jurors with his own expert testimony on pimping.

Anthony McCord, 29, acting as his own lawyer, is expected to testify in Brooklyn Supreme Court that the woman accusing him of robbing and assaulting her was actually a prostitute who stole money from him.

And as hard as it is for a pimp, it's even tougher for a pro se litigant.  :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

It makes sense to me to prevent the defendent (or in a civil case one of the litigants) from acting as an expert.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 22, 2011, 10:55:58 AM
It makes sense to me to prevent the defendent (or in a civil case one of the litigants) from acting as an expert.

Well in this instance, I think the decision is really in his favor. Any exposition on pimp culture is unlikely to have a positive influence on the jury.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on November 22, 2011, 11:02:37 AM

Well in this instance, I think the decision is really in his favor. Any exposition on pimp culture is unlikely to have a positive influence on the jury.

Racist.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

First rule of pimpin': Pimpin' ain't easy.
Corollary of first rule: Pimpin' IS easy.

2d rule of pimpin': See first rule.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

Even having Huggy Bear show up and testify that It's hard to be a Pimp would have a perjorative effect. His defense seems to be that it is right and proper for pimps to beat down thievin' hoes. Proper legal council would have been to advise him that while it might be right and proper it certainly isn't legal.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Viking on November 22, 2011, 11:56:32 AM
Proper legal council would have been to advise him that while it might be right and proper it certainly isn't legal.

Again, pro se'in' ain't easy.   :(

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 21, 2011, 10:58:47 PM
I don't see why it couldn't come in as lay opinion based on particularized knowledge, at least if the FRE applied.

It doesn't - the state rules are pretty close but a little more strict.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 22, 2011, 12:07:10 PM
It doesn't - the state rules are pretty close but a little more strict.

More strict on getting in expert or lay opinion?

Fortunately, Brooklyn Defender Services rejected me for this summer so I don't have to worry about N.Y. C.P.L. LAW for a while.   :showoff:

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 22, 2011, 11:56:32 AM

Even having Huggy Bear show up and testify that It's hard to be a Pimp would have a perjorative effect. His defense seems to be that it is right and proper for pimps to beat down thievin' hoes. Proper legal council would have been to advise him that while it might be right and proper it certainly isn't legal.

Which was my point as far as no "expert" on this subject would have helped him out.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 22, 2011, 12:34:48 PM

More strict on getting in expert or lay opinion?

Lay.
IIRC the old case law says there most be a showing of need to admit lay opinion, but in practice the state courts tend to be more lenient if the FRE standards are otherwise satisfied.

For expert, NY still uses Frye, not the federal rule.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

The Daubert standard? That's the federal one? How can the Daubert standard be used in cases where there is no peer review and no science has been done? While the defendant claims that there is a society of Pimps, it doesn't seem to do any academic work to set the standard for the Daubert standard to use? In a sense, my understanding of the Daubert standard is that there must be a standard set by peer review and that standard must conform to standard scientific standards (if the repeated use of the word standards hasn't confused you yet).