Main Menu

Sticky Goo Gums Up Pennsylvania Turnpike

Started by jimmy olsen, November 23, 2011, 01:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Eww :yuk:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204452104577056241484001710.html
QuoteAssociated Press

PITTSBURGH—A flood of gooey black muck dropped from a tanker truck disabled about 150 cars and damaged an unknown number of other vehicles along a nearly 40-mile stretch of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, officials said.

A car with its wheels covered in driveway sealant sits in a parking lot in Harmar, Pa., after exiting the Pennsylvania Turnpike Tuesday night, Nov. 22, 2011.

A leaking valve on a tanker spread driveway sealant over the eastbound lanes of a long stretch of the turnpike between New Castle and the Oakmont Service Plaza in the western part of the state Tuesday night, turnpike spokesman Bill Capone said.

Turnpike operations officials on Wednesday said 150 or more cars were disabled when the sticky goo covered their tires and wheels. Some state police and turnpike maintenance vehicles had to be towed away after getting stuck in the tar-like substance, according to the turnpike operations center.

Traffic was moving normally by Wednesday morning, but the sticky mess hindered the travel plans of some motorists traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Laura Frick told WTAE-TV she was traveling from Cleveland to New Jersey for the holiday.

"Now we have to turn around and go back home," Ms. Frick said. "It's horrible."

Retired firefighter Bob King told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review the experience was harrowing.

"It caught us off guard," said Mr. King, who lives near Chicago. "It didn't seem like anyone knew what it was or what to do. It had to be an incredible amount of tar. It's still piled on my tires."

Cpl. Mike Corna, with the state police barracks that patrol the turnpike near Pittsburgh, said Wednesday the driver will be cited for not properly securing his load, though the specific tickets to be issued were still being determined.

Maintenance crews got out quickly, dumping sand on the pooled goop and using snow plows to push it on to the shoulder, turnpike spokesman Carl DeFebo said. The mess was mostly confined to the right lane and the roadway didn't have to be shut down while workers tried to clean it up.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

You are down to reporting automobile accidents?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2011, 02:22:30 PM
You are down to reporting automobile accidents?
150 cars is a little more than a mere automobile accident. Also a lot of potential in the title and story for humor.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quite a sticky situation for some of the drivers involved.