News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Deficit Talks Fail

Started by jimmy olsen, November 21, 2011, 09:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on November 21, 2011, 10:32:31 PM
And the GOP had no intention of tackling them until they thought they could hit Obama with it.

This has convinced me: Obama has been a monster megadeath deficit hawk.

QuoteSo what's the GOP proposal again?

There were a few.  The Ryan proposal, which the House passed and the Senate I think did not consider.  Then there was the $4 trillion and change package during the debt limit hostage negotiations.

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 21, 2011, 11:57:06 AM
Except it's not. As our European friends are discovering.
The yield on 30 year treasuries is now lower than it was for 1 months in January 2008.  The market's pretty sanguine about US debt - not least because it's spinning out about European debt (even the spread on the Dutch is increasing).

My view is that it's worth kicking the can down the road.  It's really not the time for massive spending cuts and tax rises - as our experience shows.  You've got the market desperate to buy US debt precisely because the world economy looks so unstable.  I think you should have short-term stimulus - payroll and unemployment extension, some infrastructure - with laws enacting medium to long-term reforms.  So, I'd say, phase out certain tax deductions for income and corporate tax, phase in tax increases starting in a few years and have Social Security and (most importantly) Medicare reforms.  While that's going on also have a look at other discretionary spending - I imagine there's stuff that can be cut.

Having said that despite the Eurocrisis I think there's been some positive noise out of the US economy lately so, God-willing, we'll be in a situation that has growth playing its role in deficit reduction.

QuoteSo they are making a lot of noise about making deals, but cannot actually come through. The Dems should rape them over this, but will likely screw it up instead.
I think this is true.

QuoteSo while certainly it isn't good - isn't it not so bad that we're actually now facing more in automatic spending cuts for the next ten years than any of the proposed plans by either party?
Not really.  I imagine there'll be enormous pressure to roll back those cuts and save certain things - though Obama's apparently threatening to veto any bill that does that.  But my understanding is that those cuts just apply uniformally across the board.  That's an insane way to cut government.  You'll end up cutting worthwhile stuff by just as much as programs that should have perhaps have attracted greater attention.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2011, 10:50:43 PM
QuoteSo while certainly it isn't good - isn't it not so bad that we're actually now facing more in automatic spending cuts for the next ten years than any of the proposed plans by either party?
Not really.  I imagine there'll be enormous pressure to roll back those cuts and save certain things - though Obama's apparently threatening to veto any bill that does that.  But my understanding is that those cuts just apply uniformally across the board.  That's an insane way to cut government.  You'll end up cutting worthwhile stuff by just as much as programs that should have perhaps have attracted greater attention.

Yeah but if it was politically impossible to actually get relevant cuts in just crap programs then it might be better to just take an all around haircut than unabashed increases in expenditure, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: fahdiz on November 21, 2011, 10:40:24 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on November 21, 2011, 10:36:50 PM
Yes, I think the Democrats have advanced actual, concrete proposals and the GOP has made it clear that they won't agree to any program with a tax hike.

No, no - I mean during this WHOLE mess.

So, 1965 to the present then?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2011, 10:50:43 PM
The yield on 30 year treasuries is now lower than it was for 1 months in January 2008.  The market's pretty sanguine about US debt - not least because it's spinning out about European debt (even the spread on the Dutch is increasing).

My view is that it's worth kicking the can down the road.  It's really not the time for massive spending cuts and tax rises - as our experience shows.  You've got the market desperate to buy US debt precisely because the world economy looks so unstable.  I think you should have short-term stimulus - payroll and unemployment extension, some infrastructure - with laws enacting medium to long-term reforms.  So, I'd say, phase out certain tax deductions for income and corporate tax, phase in tax increases starting in a few years and have Social Security and (most importantly) Medicare reforms.  While that's going on also have a look at other discretionary spending - I imagine there's stuff that can be cut.

Yes the can has to be kicked to allow time for any actual solution to be implemented. That's pretty clear. The biggest problem with any long term budget reduction plan is sticking to the plan. The next President or the next Congress will decide to do something completely different and then we're back to no solution.

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 21, 2011, 11:27:14 PMYes the can has to be kicked to allow time for any actual solution to be implemented. That's pretty clear. The biggest problem with any long term budget reduction plan is sticking to the plan. The next President or the next Congress will decide to do something completely different and then we're back to no solution.
That's possibly true of a budget reduction plan, but your system's resistant to change once it's been made.  In the UK I think you'd be more right because any government can, by definition, pass any legislation it wants - if it can't it's not the government.  But in the US once a law's been passed through Congress I think the institutional conservatism reasserts itself.  The difficulty of passing legislation also makes it difficult to abolish it.  I think the O'Neill-Reagan deals on Social Security and income tax (though the latter wasn't that great a reform) are examples of that. 

Maybe that's changed now your system's got more partisan though?  If so it seems like you'll have all our flaws without the advantages
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2011, 11:01:24 PMYeah but if it was politically impossible to actually get relevant cuts in just crap programs then it might be better to just take an all around haircut than unabashed increases in expenditure, no?
You're probably right.  Who knows maybe (and I hope Obama sticks to this) the pain of Congress not being able to roll back unpleasant universal cuts will focus their mind.  Who knows though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 21, 2011, 11:23:07 PM

So the Great Society caused this catastrophe?  Really?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 22, 2011, 12:03:27 AM

I think it's safe to say that the roots of the latest political fracture did originate in 1960ies, when Democrats enforced the power of the federal government over apartheid states in the South.  Ever since then, Democrats gained the black votes, while Republicans gained the radicalized racist votes.  Republicans got the better end of the deal by far.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 22, 2011, 12:21:03 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 22, 2011, 12:03:27 AM

I think it's safe to say that the roots of the latest political fracture did originate in 1960ies, when Democrats enforced the power of the federal government over apartheid states in the South.  Ever since then, Democrats gained the black votes, while Republicans gained the radicalized racist votes.  Republicans got the better end of the deal by far.

Comments like this make Raz's rant about how Republicans think Dems are evil kind of funny.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Is there anything factually inaccurate in what I said?

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 22, 2011, 01:21:22 AM

What relevance does that have to my comment?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on November 22, 2011, 02:01:58 AM
Quote from: DGuller on November 22, 2011, 01:21:22 AM

What relevance does that have to my comment?

Your comments have no relevance.  So he can't make a comment that is relevant to yours.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan