And we're back!

Main Menu

SOPA or how America hates the Internet.

Started by Grey Fox, November 18, 2011, 01:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on November 18, 2011, 09:11:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2011, 08:33:51 PM
Second of all, WTF is gc.ca doing sharing pirated movies and videos?
American companies will claim copyright because they're dishonest and there's no incentive not to.

This is true.  Such as when Universal Studios sued Nintendo over copyright infringement concerning King Kong, despite not actually having the rights to King Kong (and having previously sued RKO claiming that King Kong was public domain).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Or Bethesda threatening to sue the guy who did Minecraft (I think that's him? Or some other Indie dev?) because he wants to call his next game (a computer card game) "Scrolls".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on November 19, 2011, 03:56:27 AM
"Sopa" means (a piece of) garbage in Swedish. Makes you thimk.

After thimking about it, I concluded it has the same meaning in the US.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2011, 05:42:07 AM
Or Bethesda threatening to sue the guy who did Minecraft (I think that's him? Or some other Indie dev?) because he wants to call his next game (a computer card game) "Scrolls".

They are doing it. Bethesda, well it's Parent Company, lost the first round in Swedish court.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2011, 06:23:05 PM
So the law would require US ISPs to block access to pirate sites in Canada, it would require US search engines to not show results for pirate sites in Canada, and it would prohibit US payment companies from transferring funds to pirate sites in Canada.

What exactly is your beef Wolf?
Severe privacy invading measures
Why the broken web should stay broken

Privacy advocates are against.
ISPs are against.
Security software companies are against.
Music&film industry lobbied intensively for it.

That, in itself, without any kind of argument, makes the case for me, to be agains SOPA.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2011, 01:20:11 PM
Do something about it before it's too late.

If I lept into action everytime my Congress was considering passing a horribly idiotic and hamfisted piece of legislation I would be a fulltime political activist by now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2011, 08:33:51 PM
First of all, the site wouldn't be blocked by non-US ISPs.

Second of all, WTF is gc.ca doing sharing pirated movies and videos?

Heh.  Your faith the legislation is going to work to only limit the stuff it was built to combat is impressive considering the enormous number of people pointing out otherwise.  The interests of tons of people are going to be stomped on to serve a specific special interest.  But really what else is new?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2012, 09:36:53 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2011, 01:20:11 PM
Do something about it before it's too late.

If I lept into action everytime my Congress was considering passing a horribly idiotic and hamfisted piece of legislation I would be a fulltime political activist by now.

Or Dead.  :ph34r:

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2012, 09:36:53 AM

You'd be in pretty good shape though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2012, 09:40:06 AM
Heh.  Your faith the legislation is going to work to only limit the stuff it was built to combat is impressive considering the enormous number of people pointing out otherwise.  The interests of tons of people are going to be stomped on to serve a specific special interest.  But really what else is new?

I see an enormous number of people complaining who have a vested interest in maintaining internet traffic to pirate sites.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2012, 10:48:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2012, 09:40:06 AM

I see an enormous number of people complaining who have a vested interest in maintaining internet traffic to pirate sites.

What's the interest of Google in that?

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 17, 2012, 08:54:39 AM
English Wikipedia is going dark tomorrow in protest of SOPA/PIPA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16590585

Now I'm definitely glad that I didn't donate any money to them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

If it makes Grey Wolf whine like little girl, I'm all for it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

:(

You'll be sorry when Languish & everything else you love about the internet is gone.