News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 11 - Hail Tebow!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 18, 2011, 12:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

He just looks so weird when he's throwing that ball.  Also, his Christianity has been fetishized by dangerous religious right elements.  Also, he plays for Denver, who is still under the curse of Jake Plummer.

I could live with any one of those, and maybe any two, but all three?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2011, 12:49:23 AM
Yeah, I don't get the Tebow hate.

It is because he is so hyped.  But I don't think anybody here really has strong feelings about Tebow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2011, 06:57:46 AM
No kidding.  I mean, here's a clean cut all-American kid, doing nothing but talking about his faith and the concept of team.  What does he do after winning the Heisman and the National Championship? He's not hanging around sexually assaulting chicks, carrying guns into nightclubs but goes to Africa for months of missionary work, shooing flies off eyelids and shit.

The vast majority of players in the league are not about sexually assaulting chicks and taking guns to night clubs.  As for going to Africa for months for missionary work to convert people to his wacky religion...Colt McCoy did that shit to and I don't see your SEC bandwagon ass getting all excited about him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 18, 2011, 01:14:31 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 18, 2011, 01:07:25 AM
I think he'd make a great fullback, but he's not QB material.

I was thinking TE, if he can catch.

For the Denver-Cincy game the Broncos had run out of receivers, so they changed facemasks on his helmet and put him in as a receiver-- for one play.  It succeeded in causing a little momentary confusion for the Bengals defensive coaches.

FWIW, the Tebow haters have succeeded in pushing me from somewhat anti-Tebow to pro-Tebow.  I hope he continues finding ways to win, despite really bad passing stats. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2011, 12:16:37 PM
FWIW, the Tebow haters have succeeded in pushing me from somewhat anti-Tebow to pro-Tebow.  I hope he continues finding ways to win, despite really bad passing stats. 

Meh just ignore the haters.  I mean he is the QB for the Denver Broncos why should you even care?  Do you have strong feelings about the KC Chiefs QB?  I just wish sanity would prevail in this issue.  I mean if Tebow works our great for him...but why is it such a big deal?  Everybody acts like he is the only Christian in the league, that he is the only former College star in the league.  I do not get it.

Having said that I wish the Redskins had him.  Heck I wish they would get any QB under 30 with even an ounce of dynamism.

Neil

I do.  Cassell was a Patriot, and thus evil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

I don't love Jesus but I sure love Tim Tebow.

Tim Tebow, he's my savior.

Hell, I'm going to make that a T-Shirt.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

No kidding.  I mean, here's a clean cut all-American kid, doing nothing but talking about his faith and the concept of team.  What does he do after winning the Heisman and the National Championship? He's not hanging around sexually assaulting chicks, carrying guns into nightclubs but goes to Africa for months of missionary work, shooing flies off eyelids and shit.

The league better get on board with this kid, because he's exactly what it needs. 

:mellow:
I agree he seems like a decent guy but so I far I have seen no evidence that he can play QB competently at the NFL level.  He clearly is trying to improve and I wish him all the luck in world, but it isn't hate to point out the obvious fact that as of right now, he is below level of acceptable competence as a passer for an NFL QB.

Meanwhile the Broncos also have another seemingly decent young man of their team, who happened to systematically wreak havoc on the Jets offense last night, a feat obscured by the obsessive media focus on Tebow.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2011, 12:22:35 PM
Meh just ignore the haters.  I mean he is the QB for the Denver Broncos why should you even care?  Do you have strong feelings about the KC Chiefs QB?  I just wish sanity would prevail in this issue.  I mean if Tebow works our great for him...but why is it such a big deal?  Everybody acts like he is the only Christian in the league, that he is the only former College star in the league.  I do not get it.

My best friend lives in Denver, so he had been filling me in on all the Tebow-worshiping silliness before the season started & it was something we joked about.  I hadn't really heard a whole lot of the hatred until he had his first start, and it puzzles me.  Also puzzles me how his supporters are being tagged as religious nutjobs, while at least in Denver they're pretty much like Grey Fox.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2011, 01:44:43 PM

The league better get on board with this kid, because he's exactly what it needs. 

:mellow:
I agree he seems like a decent guy but so I far I have seen no evidence that he can play QB competently at the NFL level.  He clearly is trying to improve and I wish him all the luck in world, but it isn't hate to point out the obvious fact that as of right now, he is below level of acceptable competence as a passer for an NFL QB.

Meanwhile the Broncos also have another seemingly decent young man of their team, who happened to systematically wreak havoc on the Jets offense last night, a feat obscured by the obsessive media focus on Tebow.

John Elway's first 8 starts = 3-5 Record, 1041 yards, 3 TD, 10 INT

Tim Tebow's first 8 starts = 5-3 Record, 1281 yards, 10 TD, 4 INT
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 18, 2011, 04:27:02 PM

Heh.  Everytime a QB does badly his stats get compared to Elway's spectacularly terrible rookie year.  Such a tired trope.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2011, 02:10:52 PM
My best friend lives in Denver, so he had been filling me in on all the Tebow-worshiping silliness before the season started & it was something we joked about.  I hadn't really heard a whole lot of the hatred until he had his first start, and it puzzles me.  Also puzzles me how his supporters are being tagged as religious nutjobs, while at least in Denver they're pretty much like Grey Fox.

Oh it is pretty weird.  It is like people are trying to make him the sports avatar of the social conservatives or something...which is ridiculous.

derspiess

AJ Green is out (officially "Doubtful") for Sunday, but then so is Ray Lewis.  And I believe Pacman Jones will play, but only as a corner on certain packages & not returning punts :mellow:

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2011, 04:30:40 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 18, 2011, 04:27:02 PM

Heh.  Everytime a QB does badly his stats get compared to Elway's spectacularly terrible rookie year.  Such a tired trope.

When he played for The Cardinal he had the program that Bill Walsh built around him. The Broncos had him as first round draft pick suggesting a less than stellar team around him.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

IIRC Elway was taken #1 overall by the Patriots, and he refused to sign because they sucked so fiercely.

Which is not to deny that Denver sucked at the time, they probably did, but it is kind of ironic.