Guilty pleasures or conscious immoral decisions you take?

Started by Martinus, November 16, 2011, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

We all have them. Stuff we cannot otherwise justify but we engage in anyway, because you can't give it up.

I can find ethical justification or excuse for a lot of stuff - incest, open relationships (aka cheating), homosexuality, etc. But there is one thing for which I cannot: eating meat. Including foie gras. Yet I do it because I'm weak.

What's your vice? :P

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 04:28:07 PM
Why is it immoral to help farmers?  :mad:

And stuff geese with food until their livers explode? :P

Barrister

"guilty pleasure" is not the same thing as an immoral decision.

A guilty pleasure is something that you do despite it being bad for you (or having no particular merit or benefit).  Things like eating fatty foods, or watching trashy television are guilty pleasures.  They aren't actually immoral.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I invest in the stock market knowing full well that capitalism is oppression.

:sleep:

Viking

My guilty pleasures include

- some trashy 80s electro pop
- wine gums
- weekday boozing

torturing geese to death with corn feed is just horrible.. I acutally ate and found fois gras disgusting well before I found out what it was.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: Viking on November 16, 2011, 04:46:42 PM
My guilty pleasures include

- some trashy 80s electro pop
- wine gums
- weekday boozing

I love wine gums. They've become my vice since I quit the nicotine.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2011, 04:25:44 PM
But there is one thing for which I cannot: eating meat.

You can't find a single justification for eating meat despite the fact that our bodies are made to digest it and our teeth are made to chew it?
and the horse you rode in on

The Minsky Moment

The human demand for animal products like meat and milk sustains life for millions of living creatures who, in the absence of such demand, would most likely be rendered extinct or near extinct.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2011, 04:25:44 PM
I can find ethical justification or excuse for a lot of stuff - incest, open relationships (aka cheating), homosexuality, etc. But there is one thing for which I cannot: eating meat. Including foie gras. Yet I do it because I'm weak.

What's your vice? :P

Meh, something must die so we all can live.

Your sensible foie gras indulgence is the last remnant of your peasant soul of what it takes to survive on your own on the land.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Capetan Mihali

Immoral:  littering.  Though hardly as much as in Philly where it was the norm.

Guilty:  drink, tobacco, etc.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on November 16, 2011, 04:46:42 PM

torturing geese to death with corn feed is just horrible.. I acutally ate and found fois gras disgusting well before I found out what it was.

Well at least it wasn't done for religious reasons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017