News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The demonization of pedophiles.

Started by Razgovory, November 16, 2011, 10:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on November 17, 2011, 10:49:35 PM
it's a choice to act on these impulses, always.

That's the key, I think.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Gay behavior used to be criminalized too.  The pedos time will come.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2011, 02:36:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2011, 12:18:57 PM:huh:

You're really quite mistaken.  Plenty of people give a lot of serious thought towards curing paedos.  Plus they aren't "pretty likely" to offend again.  I believe recidivism rates are on par with any number of other offences.
Really?  I didn't know that.  Prior to them getting caught are they more likely to be repeat offenders (again my understanding)?

QuoteSex offender registries are politically popular, but really ineffective in acheiving anything other than harassing sex offenders.  Similarily I believe chemical castration has been shown to be fairly ineffective in reducing recidivism.
I should clarify that I don't support chemical castration and by sex offender registry I mean the sort maintained in this country that's for the probation service and the police, not the public.

Most criminals repeat their behaviour until / unless they get caught.  Shoplifters, drunk drivers, wife beaters - all of those tend to be repeat behaviours.

We have a similar sex offender registry in this country - only accessible by police.  And I still maintain its only useful in terms of harassing sex offenders.  I haven't seen a single case where it was useful in an investigation (unlike the DNA databank, which is hugely useful).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2011, 11:13:59 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2011, 02:36:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2011, 12:18:57 PM:huh:

You're really quite mistaken.  Plenty of people give a lot of serious thought towards curing paedos.  Plus they aren't "pretty likely" to offend again.  I believe recidivism rates are on par with any number of other offences.
Really?  I didn't know that.  Prior to them getting caught are they more likely to be repeat offenders (again my understanding)?

QuoteSex offender registries are politically popular, but really ineffective in acheiving anything other than harassing sex offenders.  Similarily I believe chemical castration has been shown to be fairly ineffective in reducing recidivism.
I should clarify that I don't support chemical castration and by sex offender registry I mean the sort maintained in this country that's for the probation service and the police, not the public.

Most criminals repeat their behaviour until / unless they get caught.  Shoplifters, drunk drivers, wife beaters - all of those tend to be repeat behaviours.

We have a similar sex offender registry in this country - only accessible by police.  And I still maintain its only useful in terms of harassing sex offenders.  I haven't seen a single case where it was useful in an investigation (unlike the DNA databank, which is hugely useful).

The authorities of course have files on criminals convicted of crimes other than sex crimes as well (though generally other criminals are not required to inform the authorities when they move after having served their time--at least in the States).  Are those files not useful in investigations?

Siege

Pedophilia should be an automatic death sentence.
If any faggot comes near my future baby I will put a million bullets through his filthy heart. And lungs. And head.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on November 19, 2011, 11:00:53 PM
Pedophilia should be an automatic death sentence.
If any faggot comes near my future baby I will put a million bullets through his filthy heart. And lungs. And head.
See?  Hatred of pedophiles is for bronze ages tards.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Good thing for Siege his father-in-law didn't think the same.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 20, 2011, 05:26:39 AM

My wife is only 7 years younger than me.
that is nothing.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on November 20, 2011, 06:30:41 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 20, 2011, 05:26:39 AM
My wife is only 7 years younger than me.
that is nothing.
Yeah, but didn't you rape a ten-year old Palestinian once, or was that OK because it was a boy?

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on November 17, 2011, 10:55:22 PM

That's the key, I think.
someone here (Quebec) started a 'pedo hotline', where pedophiles who feel they are about to act on their impulses can call and have a chat with someone (supposedly, not other pedos...) who will dissuade them.  I don't know if it'll work.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2011, 10:05:11 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 17, 2011, 10:55:22 PM

That's the key, I think.
someone here (Quebec) started a 'pedo hotline', where pedophiles who feel they are about to act on their impulses can call and have a chat with someone (supposedly, not other pedos...) who will dissuade them.  I don't know if it'll work.

It might be worth a shot, but I suspect that people won't use it unless they have a pretty strong guarantee of confidentiality, and the authorities are probably not going to want to ensure confidentiality.