Would you survive a nuke?

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2011, 06:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on November 14, 2011, 06:13:40 PM
The bad news is that I'm dead.  The good news is that Philly, Baltimore, DC, and NYC would all be wiped out under a 5-city attack option.  So would be Boston, but I don't know enough about it to know how to feel about it.

Go down to Pop. 100k and Newark bites it, too. :)
Experience bij!

DGuller

Newark getting hit by a nuke would improve it.

Ed Anger

Snooki would have a fabulous glow.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2011, 11:07:40 AM
Newark getting hit by a nuke would improve it.

:yes: Big surprise they're filming portions of The Dark Knight Rises in Newark as Gotham, right? ;)
Experience bij!

Valmy

Those sick bastards would nuke Austin but leave La Grande intact?  They must hate humanity indeed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

dps

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2011, 10:10:14 AM
Quote from: PDH on November 15, 2011, 08:17:04 AM
Obviously nobody cares about the missles at Warrern AFB 40 miles to the east (though they are over a mountain range), and Laramie survives to become the capital of the new Militia States of America.

Yeah, it's rather simplistic.  It assumes nukes are only going after population centres, and even then will be targeted at the centre of downtown.

Edmonton is a pretty likely target - but not downtown Edmonton.  Rather, they'd be better off striking the eat end of town so as to hit the numerous refineries and other petroleum plants.  Or, they might want to hit CFB Edmonton at the north end of town.

Similarily it says Whitehorse would survive, with the closest strike being over a thousand klicks away at Anchorage.  Well that may be, but by possesssing one of the very airfields north of 60 that can support fighter jets it is probably a pretty valid target for a tactical nuke.

Yeah, the targeting assumptions are just stupid.

I read something back in the mid-70's that the places that were considered likely targets in the U.S. were:

All capital cities
All other cities over 25,000 in population
All important military bases
Certain industrial locations and transportation hubs that aren't in any of the cities already included above.

Of course, that was when nuclear arsenals were a bit larger than they are now--I don't know if cities that small would still be considered likely targets.   But certainly important military bases would be.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Why the fuck would anyone waste an expensive nuke on Mansfield?

Marietta?

What's that one halfway between Columbus and the PA border? There's nothing there but tiny places like Coshocton.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Anyway, I'm alive and kicking, but Vegas, SF, San Jose, Los Angeles and Portland are fucked, apparently.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 15, 2011, 12:59:48 PM

What's that one halfway between Columbus and the PA border? There's nothing there but tiny places like Coshocton.

Cambridge.  Not important as a city, but it's the intersection of I-70 and I-77.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on November 15, 2011, 01:03:47 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 15, 2011, 12:59:48 PM

Cambridge.  Not important as a city, but it's the intersection of I-70 and I-77.
So they're going to spend a nuke to take out a cloverleaf interchange?