News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you survive a nuke?

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2011, 06:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2011, 06:50:06 PM
Definitely dead, even under the most limited scenario set up.

Well, there's always the chance Canada doesn't get targeted.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2011, 07:46:20 PMWell, there's always the chance Canada doesn't get targeted.

That would be nice. But I'd miss my American neighbours.

Ideologue

Oh, you wouldn't miss us for long.

Canada is the obvious place to migrate millions of displaced Americans to, after all.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2011, 07:51:02 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2011, 07:46:20 PMWell, there's always the chance Canada doesn't get targeted.

That would be nice. But I'd miss my American neighbours.

But we'd be the ones launching.  Who else would launch a nuke at Vancouver?  The Chinese wouldn't.  They'd hit more Chinese then they would Canadians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

I'm alive, but not for long.  Southwest of Boston.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2011, 08:00:30 PM
But we'd be the ones launching.  Who else would launch a nuke at Vancouver?  The Chinese wouldn't.  They'd hit more Chinese then they would Canadians.
All of the Chinese in Vancouver are traitors.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

stjaba

Instant death for me. Guaranteed targeting where I live, given that it is a major city located directly next to MacDill Air Force Base, where CENTCOM and SOCOM are both headquarted.

Josquius

Now- only if it is kept above 100k cities. Or else its on top of me. No clue if my city would be on the hit list or not. Except for a meteor of course.

My home town- ouch. As expected. I'm just outside a big city, which the system incorrectly measures as under 1 million....hell, it doesn't recognise it as being even 100k and goes for another nearby city it seems :s
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on November 14, 2011, 08:19:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2011, 08:00:30 PM
All of the Chinese in Vancouver are traitors.
Not at all.  The Chinese in Vancouver are very loyal to the Communist Party.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2011, 07:58:36 PM
Oh, you wouldn't miss us for long.

Canada is the obvious place to migrate millions of displaced Americans to, after all.
You'd all die in the winter.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on November 14, 2011, 08:33:52 PM
You'd all die in the winter.

We have discovered the secret of Fire. No scribes allowed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

:yuk:

QuoteYou're alive! ... but not for long.

The heat from the blast has caused head to toe third degree burns. It would have been better to have been vaporized. You'll probably die within the day.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I'm pretty much dead if Vienna gets attacked with 1MT+, though it'll depend where exactly the bomb drops if I die from the blast or burns/radiation. If city center, then I only survive with a Fatman sized bomb.

I grew up in a small town in Germany that had a stockpile of nuclear grenades ca. 2 or 3 km from our house. So there was some certainty that in case of nuclear war we'd have a big bullseye painted onto our backs, anyways, and that things would be over (hopefully) quickly.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on November 14, 2011, 10:40:56 PM
I'm pretty much dead if Vienna gets attacked with 1MT+, though it'll depend where exactly the bomb drops if I die from the blast or burns/radiation. If city center, then I only survive with a Fatman sized bomb.

I grew up in a small town in Germany that had a stockpile of nuclear grenades ca. 2 or 3 km from our house. So there was some certainty that in case of nuclear war we'd have a big bullseye painted onto our backs, anyways, and that things would be over (hopefully) quickly.

Actual damage will vary considerably due to local geography, weather, height of explosion etc.  I imagine you can be fairly close to ground zero and still survive if you are in a tough building.  Duck and cover really can save your life.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valdemar

Apparently I'm alive because they would hit Berlin, Hamburg and Stockholm, but not Copenhagen  :wacko:

Very weird, given A Denmark is part of nato, B Sweden is not.

V