French and Germans explore idea of smaller consolidated euro zone

Started by jimmy olsen, November 12, 2011, 10:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Always enjoyed my trips to Belgium though, great beer, great food, amenable company, a good place for the self-indulgent.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2011, 02:09:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2011, 12:19:23 PMYour repressed guilt over the fact that Britain created a disfunctional country to protect its own strategic interests is manifesting as hostility towards the Phlegms.
Belgium's just the most tedious dysfunctional country the British created.  The Flems always seem the most whiny nationalists in the world.  They make Scottish nationalists look positively chipper and well adjusted :bleeding:
that's because you're (apparently) unknowledgeble on the situation. Your problem, not ours. Same goes for marti on this issue

Razgovory

Actually, most of us don't care.  You aren't going to go viper on us are you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 12, 2011, 04:38:27 PM
Always enjoyed my trips to Belgium though, great beer, great food, amenable company, a good place for the self-indulgent.

The best thing ever said about belgium is that it has french quality food in dutch sized portions.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2011, 12:19:23 PMYour repressed guilt over the fact that Britain created a disfunctional country to protect its own strategic interests is manifesting as hostility towards the Phlegms.
Belgium's just the most tedious dysfunctional country the British created.  The Flems always seem the most whiny nationalists in the world.  They make Scottish nationalists look positively chipper and well adjusted :bleeding:
Maybe it's long past time to break up the nation into smaller states.

Razgovory

Why is it our problem?  You talk like we should do something about it.  Let them figure it out.  It's their country.  So long as they don't start annexing other people's countries, they can do what ever the hell they want.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

They both need to be subjected to Trident.

Use it before you lose it, UK.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2011, 05:19:43 PM

why bother?  Either we get rid of teh francophones or the francophones get rid of us. In the first case there's two new countries, in the second case a people is wiped of the face of the planet (as has been the stated goal of francophone belgium since its foundation)

Syt

I say we make the Flamish part a seperate country, tack the French part onto France, and make Brussels, as EU capital and seat of NATO an international, self governed city.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 13, 2011, 02:24:11 AM

why bother?  Either we get rid of teh francophones or the francophones get rid of us. In the first case there's two new countries, in the second case a people is wiped of the face of the planet (as has been the stated goal of francophone belgium since its foundation)

This makes the Quebecois seps look reasonable and objective.

Do you live in Belgium or Srpska?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grinning_Colossus

Why independence? Why not just give the French parts to France and the Dutch parts to the Netherlands?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Habsburg

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 12, 2011, 04:38:27 PM

I agree, but it's really just the Habsburg Netherlands.  They also make lovely lace/doleys.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Ideologue on November 13, 2011, 03:08:15 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 13, 2011, 02:24:11 AM

This makes the Quebecois seps look reasonable and objective.

Do you live in Belgium or Srpska?
you're not too bright are you?

It's not the flemish making territorial claims on francofonistan just because there's a bunch of migrants there that refuse to live by the law of the land.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2011, 02:26:52 AM
I say we make the Flamish part a seperate country, tack the French part onto France, and make Brussels, as EU capital and seat of NATO an international, self governed city.
Brussels in 19 different communes, each with their mayor, citycouncil and all that comes with it. Good luck with convincing them that there should be only one mayor.

Martinus

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 13, 2011, 03:17:33 AM
Why independence? Why not just give the French parts to France and the Dutch parts to the Netherlands?

Probably because neither France nor the Netherlands would want their parts. :P