Started by jimmy olsen, November 12, 2011, 10:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2011, 02:08:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 13, 2011, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2011, 01:52:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 13, 2011, 10:29:20 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2011, 06:32:15 AM
I guess I'll never understand Nationalism.  These statements about wiping people out seem absurd to me.
You don't understand what it feels like to be part of a group, and what a wonderful thing that can be?  That's terrible.
There is a difference between feeling like part of a group and wanting to exterminate all members of other groups.
Nationalism doesn't always lead to a desire for genocide.
However, Raz was specifically speaking about an incident where it had. :contract:
He said that he didn't understand nationalism.  If he had meant it to be interpreted as you seem to, he would have said that he didn't understand genocide.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2011, 02:08:22 PM

However, Raz was specifically speaking about an incident where it had. :contract:

I was specifically referring to a post, not an incident.  I actually had no idea what the hell he was talking about.  This is why I posted that I don't really understand Nationalism, since it apparently makes you say such bizarre things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 13, 2011, 01:32:16 PM

cultural genocide numbnut

That's pussy genocide.  It doesn't even have an agreed meaning.  I don't know if your cause is sympathetic or not.  I have no idea.  But don't talk about "wiping us out" and "cultural genocide".  It's silly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

I guess I'll never understand Nationalism.  These statements about wiping people out seem absurd to me.
You don't understand what it feels like to be part of a group, and what a wonderful thing that can be?  That's terrible.

I rarely go outside.  Of course it's terrible!  Still I didn't know being part of group requires this much victimization.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2011, 03:55:59 PM
I rarely go outside.  Of course it's terrible!  Still I didn't know being part of group requires this much victimization.
I would imagine it depends on whether your group is victimized or not.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Crazy Ivan didn't convince me that he was right, but he did convince me that Sheilbh was right:  That was a pretty whiny whine!  :lol:

Are all Flems addicted to over-the-top rhetoric and histrionics?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

I loved how he wants to eradicate french use in Flanders, but wants special rights from Flems outside of Flanders  :lol:

Also, quoting some dude from 200 years ago is not proof of anything dude. Chill out. If you want to separate, have a referendum, win, take your share of the debt and gtfo.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on November 14, 2011, 01:24:44 AM
Also, quoting some dude from 200 years ago is not proof of anything dude. Chill out. If you want to separate, have a referendum, win, take your share of the debt and gtfo.

Quoted For Truth. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

I loved how he wants to eradicate french use in Flanders, but wants special rights from Flems outside of Flanders  :lol:

Not what I said but whatever, it's not like francophones are capable of guaranteeing the rights of the flems anyway. the last 180 years were proof of that.

Razgovory

So it's similar to the what Quebecis want?

alfred russel

After all they went through to get in, hopefully Estonia won't be kicked out?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Such a decision would have to be made unianmous within the EU, which is not going to happen. Why would the other countries agree to this?

BVN

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2011, 05:27:46 PM
Crazy Ivan didn't convince me that he was right, but he did convince me that Sheilbh was right:  That was a pretty whiny whine!  :lol:

Are all Flems addicted to over-the-top rhetoric and histrionics?

The ones addicted to that kind of rhetoric just yell the loudest.  :sleep:

Is the country dysfunctional? No. Or at least not more then our immediate neighbours.

Razgovory

Question:  Where there any Indians in Flemland before the Flems arrived?

BVN

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2011, 08:49:44 AM
Question:  Where there any Indians in Flemland before the Flems arrived?

Yes, they were called Neanderthals if I'm not mistaken.