Main Menu

Started by Josquius, November 10, 2011, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

This was only cool on 11-11-1111

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 10, 2011, 08:03:40 PM
Giant nets.

I predict a chopper evac a la Apocolypse Now when the swabbies rush the court.

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on November 10, 2011, 08:09:32 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 10, 2011, 07:48:28 PM
It just occured to me that we won't have a 111111 day after tomorrow for another 100 years. :o  It blows your mind if you think about it.

The cool thing about 111111 is that it is 111111 whether you go by the European dd/mm/yy method or the American mm/dd/yy method. :D
Thats the British dd/mm/yy. Lots of Euros (well...the Swedes at least, don't know about most) use yy/mm/dd.
But yes, truly a day of universal peace and harmony.
██████
██████
██████

dps

While generally, Americans use mm/dd/yy method, the military uses dd//mm/yy.

DGuller

The American mm/dd/yy never made sense to me.  It's neither ascending nor descending in the level of magnitude.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2011, 07:54:41 PM

Its the 11th in Europe too, the majority of the world's population is in the 11th. :p

Yes, but many of the countries of the world don't use that dating system on that side of the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Thus starts the worst of all seasons . . . 11/11 starts carnival in Germany which lasts for ca. 3 months.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 10, 2011, 09:59:09 PM
The American mm/dd/yy never made sense to me.  It's neither ascending nor descending in the level of magnitude.

It makes sense if you consider that when talking about dates the year is usually understood to be the current year.  "I'm going on vacation August 3rd."  So August 3rd translates very intutitively as 8/3. 

Razgovory

What if you say, "I'm going on the vacation on the 3rd of August"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2011, 10:22:24 PM

It makes sense if you consider that when talking about dates the year is usually understood to be the current year.  "I'm going on vacation August 3rd."  So August 3rd translates very intutitively as 8/3.

3rd (day of) August still makes more sense.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Yes, the American system sucks, this much is known.
I prefer the year first system due to it being nicer to computers.
██████
██████
██████

fhdz

All I know for sure is that this one goes to 11.
and the horse you rode in on

Monoriu

Tons of people are getting married today in HK.  They booked years in advance.  Say this is a special day that will bring good fortune etc. 

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2011, 10:22:24 PM

I always write "I'm going on vacation Tuesday, 03 August". I am weird, though.
and the horse you rode in on

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"