News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Relationship training" in the US Army

Started by Phillip V, April 26, 2009, 11:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

I came back today after a pleasant weekend in Newport, RI. Believe it or not, the Army has "relationship training", and I was paid to spend three days of active duty in Newport; accommodation at the Mariott Hotel, a rental vehicle, meals, gas, etc. were also covered.

The "Strong Bonds" program is run by Army Chaplains. There were under 40 attendees, of which 90% were middle-aged. I found 3 other Soldiers who were 30 or under. I was the youngest. However, I always enjoy listening and interacting with older people, soaking in their wisdom and mistakes. It is why I am happiest when on duty and away from  the bubble of school where drinking, smoking, and hookups are the only way you can have a conversation.

I forget sometimes the power of youth. I was tired and did not put on a fresh face at all times, but the old people in my 7-person group still generated energy and enthusiasm from my presence and declared me their MVP. We did a 3-hour scavenger hunt around Newport. It was nothing to me, but there was this 40-something woman who just had a blast as she said she had not been out in years.

In any case, it was an all-round enjoyable event. I believe very deeply in the need for strong relationships, especially with the stresses of military life. I have deferred relationships since late high school until I have disposable time and income, but life is not worth it unless you have partner to share it with. It is unfortunate so much time and money is thrown into our education system, but there is nary a class on relationships (or personal finance and economics).

Never did I dream that I would be going to the bar/club each night on an Army weekend. Newport closes early, though (1 AM). There was a wedding at the hotel, and I crashed the after-party. The guest were all white, so when asked, I said I was "Bob's adopted son".

At the club (forgot girl on my neck; wanted old man):

A view from the hotel:

Some of my scavenger hunt team:

A "relationship exercise":

Siege

I think I know you, dude.

What's your MOS? Are you in a SBCT?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Phillip V

Quote from: Siege on April 26, 2009, 11:49:11 PM

Doubt it.

25B (Signal). No.
I am a weekend warrior (for now).

Phillip V

Ed Anger

Quote(forgot girl on my neck; wanted old man)

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

:lol: Holy crap... I was thinking he looked like somebody, but y'all are right on with Tiger Woods.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

The army sure aint what it used to be....
██████
██████
██████

Siege

Quote from: Phillip V on April 26, 2009, 11:54:47 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 26, 2009, 11:49:11 PM

Doubt it.

25B (Signal). No.
I am a weekend warrior (for now).

You are Tiger Woods!!!!!1111

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

FunkMonk

I never get to do anything fun like that.  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Viking

Damn, you're almost the identical twin of an east timorese colleague of mine in australia.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

QuoteI came back today after a pleasant weekend in Newport, RI. Believe it or not, the Army has "relationship training", and I was paid to spend three days of active duty in Newport; accommodation at the Mariott Hotel, a rental vehicle, meals, gas, etc. were also covered.

What's it suppose to do?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

So who's the chick trying to kiss you there?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers