News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Alexander the Great: Physical Deformities?

Started by alfred russel, April 26, 2009, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Inspired by a recent viewing of one of the worst movies ever made, Oliver Stone's Alexander, I was reading on Alexander's life and the theories he had scoliosis, which is why he was often shown looking up and away. This may have contributed to his death. The scholarship on this seems to be in journals that require subscriptions. Has anyone read the scholarship on this able to provide an outline of level of support and how severe the deformity (if it existed) was?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Warspite

Quote from: alfred russel on April 26, 2009, 05:52:51 PM
Inspired by a recent viewing of one of the worst movies ever made, Oliver Stone's Alexander, I was reading on Alexander's life and the theories he had scoliosis, which is why he was often shown looking up and away. This may have contributed to his death. The scholarship on this seems to be in journals that require subscriptions. Has anyone read the scholarship on this able to provide an outline of level of support and how severe the deformity (if it existed) was?

What journal is it? I have Athens access and might be able to grab an article.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

alfred russel

Quote from: Warspite on April 26, 2009, 06:25:15 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 26, 2009, 05:52:51 PM

What journal is it? I have Athens access and might be able to grab an article.

Here is one article: The death of Alexander the Great--a spinal twist of fate

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15370319

But if you search that site, there seems to be a number on the topic of what killed him.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

saskganesh

do they have a body, or do just look at a limited range of sculptures and mosaics that reflect broader artistic concerns then medical students can understand?

how does this square with written accounts? can someone with a deformed spine ride a horse, wear heavy armor, and kill in combat? or does the degeneration happen quickly?

yea, I ask questions. :P

a very interesting historical cripple was the viking Ivar the Boneless. sources comment on his condition, without being explicit about it.
humans were created in their own image

MadImmortalMan

I had a girlfriend with scoliosis. It didn't impede anything at all...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on April 26, 2009, 06:49:49 PM
do they have a body, or do just look at a limited range of sculptures and mosaics that reflect broader artistic concerns then medical students can understand?

how does this square with written accounts? can someone with a deformed spine ride a horse, wear heavy armor, and kill in combat? or does the degeneration happen quickly?

yea, I ask questions. :P

a very interesting historical cripple was the viking Ivar the Boneless. sources comment on his condition, without being explicit about it.

That are the questions behind why I posted the thread--I don't know the answers but this group seems to know a lot of ancient history so I thought someone might know.

syk

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Siege

Is that a fact or a modern gay-oriented revision?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Siege on April 26, 2009, 11:35:47 PM
Is that a fact or a modern gay-oriented revision?

Well, with scoliosis, he clearly wasn't "straight".

:P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

saskganesh

ouch.

@ MIM, could your GF ride a horse, wear heavy armor and kill people in hand to hand combat?  :D

saskganesh

saskganesh

saskganesh