Can parents in your country force children to participate in religious practices

Started by Martinus, April 25, 2009, 04:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Syt

Quote from: Siege on April 26, 2009, 11:07:59 PM
What's a maypole?

An old pagan ritual still in use in parts of Europe to raise a pole in May and have young women/girls dance around it.

In my area in Northern Germany there's many "Dance into the May" events on April 30th, where people light bonfires, dance, drink and be merry to hail the start of spring.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2009, 11:14:35 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 26, 2009, 11:07:59 PM
What's a maypole?

An old pagan ritual still in use in parts of Europe to raise a pole in May and have young women/girls dance around it.

In my area in Northern Germany there's many "Dance into the May" events on April 30th, where people light bonfires, dance, drink and be merry to hail the start of spring.

You know it's always said to be "an old pagan ritual".  But when is it first recorded?  Looking around it seems the first descriptions of them are in the 16th century.  Kinda late to be pagan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2009, 12:29:51 AM
You know it's always said to be "an old pagan ritual".  But when is it first recorded?  Looking around it seems the first descriptions of them are in the 16th century.  Kinda late to be pagan.

Neo-pagan, then. It's strongest recurrence in Germany was during the 19th century in the wake of re-awakened German(ic) nationalism. It's about as Christian as the Easter Bunny.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2009, 08:57:35 AM
QuoteYes, as long as they're minors, children legally can be forced by their parents to do pretty much anything that doesn't involve any criminal activity.
This is a bit too broad.  The actions the juveniles are "forced" to do must be plausibly in their own interest.  I think a parent forcing a child to get a facial tattoo, for instance,would be considered abuse even if the tattoo is for "religious reasons."  Ditto for such real-world examples as clitorectomies.
Why wouldn't the kind of "mormon gulags" (even if they did not commit some of the worst attrocities described, just pretty much held kids there against their will, and subjected them to strict discipline and cut off their contacts with outside world) be considered abuse too, if of the psychological kind, then?

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on April 27, 2009, 12:36:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2009, 12:29:51 AM

Neo-pagan, then. It's strongest recurrence in Germany was during the 19th century in the wake of re-awakened German(ic) nationalism. It's about as Christian as the Easter Bunny.

I never said it was christian.  I don't even know about Neo-Pagan since it was in England in the 17th century.  They really weren't big on Neo-paganism then either.  They could date back to pagan times but I just haven't seen any evidence of that.  It could just have simply been a game some villagers came up with one day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2009, 01:33:07 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2009, 08:57:35 AM
QuoteYes, as long as they're minors, children legally can be forced by their parents to do pretty much anything that doesn't involve any criminal activity.
This is a bit too broad.  The actions the juveniles are "forced" to do must be plausibly in their own interest.  I think a parent forcing a child to get a facial tattoo, for instance,would be considered abuse even if the tattoo is for "religious reasons."  Ditto for such real-world examples as clitorectomies.
Why wouldn't the kind of "mormon gulags" (even if they did not commit some of the worst attrocities described, just pretty much held kids there against their will, and subjected them to strict discipline and cut off their contacts with outside world) be considered abuse too, if of the psychological kind, then?

Some people consider raising a child with gay parents is a form of abuse.

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2009, 08:59:30 AMSex change operations can be forced when it is n the child's best interests (there have been some examples of things along these lines), but I agree that there are things parents cannot do, even if they are technically legal in and of themselves.

There was a case in Washington state (IIRC) a few years ago where the parents of a profoundly retarded girl (her IQ was 20 or something like that) had her surgically 'neutered', I think so that health care workers would not be able to molest her, etc.  It generated a huge amount of outrage.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points