News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State Goings-On

Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Wow.  That Matko guy is an asshole.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

No one takes your trolling seriously Neil. :(

On topic, shouldn't the judge have recused herself? Lawtalkers?

http://deadspin.com/5859075/judge-who-set-unsecured-bail-for-jerry-sandusky-is-a-second-mile-volunteer
Of course, also according to her profile, Judge Dutchcot is a volunteer for Sandusky's group, The Second Mile. Sandusky turned himself in the morning of November 5, a Saturday, at Judge Dutchot's Centre County office. He was released, under the aforementioned terms, shortly thereafter.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2011, 05:16:37 PM
You should.  'Think of the children'?  I don't take the wailing and gnashing of teeth by whiny little babies who are furious at the idea of other people having fun seriously.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

Quote from: sbr on November 12, 2011, 06:02:26 PM
Death penalty to a team because the fanbase is full of douchebags?   :hmm:

Interesting concept, though I am afraid we will be reduced to watching BYU and the military academies in a perpetual round robin once your orders are carried out.

Sorry, BYU fanbase has more than their share of douchebags.  It would be the academies...maybe some team like Colgate too...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on November 13, 2011, 05:18:51 PM
You should.  'Think of the children'?  I don't take the wailing and gnashing of teeth by whiny little babies who are furious at the idea of other people having fun seriously.
Ok, I'll pretend to take you seriously for the sake of this discussion. It's true "Think of the children" jeremiads are almost always fallacious. They are usually aimed against phenomena like rock n' roll and video games that have no proven detrimental effect on children. How ever in this case we're talking about the anal rape and sexual abuse of children. Do you want to be the one who goes out and claims that isn't a big deal?

You probably will just to keep the internet nihilist facade going but you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2011, 05:29:41 PM
Ok, I'll pretend to take you seriously for the sake of this discussion. It's true "Think of the children" jeremiads are almost always fallacious. They are usually aimed against phenomena like rock n' roll and video games that have no proven detrimental effect on children. How ever in this case we're talking about the anal rape and sexual abuse of children. Do you want to be the one who goes out and claims that isn't a big deal?

You probably will just to keep the internet nihilist facade going but you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone.
It's unfortunate that it happened, but to cancel a football season?  That's just fucking stupid.

dps

Quote from: Neil on November 13, 2011, 05:44:27 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2011, 05:29:41 PM

It's unfortunate that it happened, but to cancel a football season?  That's just fucking stupid.

Especially since this had nothing directly to do with the football team.  The players aren't accused of any wrongdoing whatsoever, and Sandusky was no longer a coach at the time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on November 11, 2011, 08:55:15 AM
More likely they don't want him coaching on TV because of the bad publicity, but can't fire him because he somehow qualifies as a whistleblower.

Not really a whistleblower, no.  More like a failure to report a crime witnessed.  Whether or not Pennsylvania can charge him for that, I dunno.  But he's definitely no fucking whistleblower.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on November 11, 2011, 11:30:46 AM
Colleges are more of larger city phenomena in Canada.  I can't think of a single example of a small town with a huge university the way they do it in the US.

That's because you didn't have a President Lincoln that created the land grant for states to establish their state universities.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2011, 06:52:45 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 11, 2011, 11:30:46 AM
Colleges are more of larger city phenomena in Canada.  I can't think of a single example of a small town with a huge university the way they do it in the US.
That's because you didn't have a President Lincoln that created the land grant for states to establish their state universities.
At least out west, the universities were established during the modern era, when the population centres were more or less fixed.  And by the provincial legislatures, to boot.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2011, 06:49:21 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 11, 2011, 08:55:15 AM
More likely they don't want him coaching on TV because of the bad publicity, but can't fire him because he somehow qualifies as a whistleblower.

Not really a whistleblower, no.  More like a failure to report a crime witnessed.  Whether or not Pennsylvania can charge him for that, I dunno.  But he's definitely no fucking whistleblower.

Not a whistleblower, and not a statutory reporter.  He did just what the law said he should do.  It would be failure to report a crime witnessed if he had, you know, failed to report it.  Penn law can't charge him based on the facts as they are currently known, because he followed the law and university procedures.  He didn't raise a stink when it became clear that Sandusky was still walking around a free man, but that is personal failing, not a failure under the law.

I think the reason why PSU isn't firing him is because he has a contract, and the U wants to avoid breaching that.  He'll be gone next year, I don't doubt.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2011, 07:21:41 AM
He did just what the law said he should do.  It would be failure to report a crime witnessed if he had, you know, failed to report it. 

He did what his Dad said he should do. 

I know commonwealth law can be pretty fucked up sometimes, but where in Penn law does it say that reporting a crime witnessed in progress to someone other than law enforcement is still considered a report to the proper authorities? 
If he had witnessed a coed rape and wrote to Penthouse Forum instead of the police, does that count as "reporting it" as well?
I thought Joe's title was Head Coach, not Sheriff.

Rasputin

Quote from: sbr on November 12, 2011, 06:02:26 PM
Death penalty to a team because the fanbase is full of douchebags?   :hmm:

Interesting concept, though I am afraid we will be reduced to watching BYU and the military academies in a perpetual round robin once your orders are carried out.

fsu's schedule would be reduced to georgia tech, wake forest, and clemson

itd be nice to see the canes and gators go by by though   :nelson:
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

On topic, shouldn't the judge have recused herself? Lawtalkers?

http://deadspin.com/5859075/judge-who-set-unsecured-bail-for-jerry-sandusky-is-a-second-mile-volunteer
Of course, also according to her profile, Judge Dutchcot is a volunteer for Sandusky's group, The Second Mile. Sandusky turned himself in the morning of November 5, a Saturday, at Judge Dutchot's Centre County office. He was released, under the aforementioned terms, shortly thereafter.

the appearance is interesting but we'd need to know a lot more facts than they both volunteer for the same organization to know whether recusal would be appropriate; who knows she may have offered to and both sides may have waived....i see that a lot
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

it would seem that the bbc has the right idea, but fundamentally misunderstands american football and the ostensible role of our coaches:

Who is John Galt?