News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oba Chandler executed in Florida

Started by Drakken, November 15, 2011, 08:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

And the world rejoiced. :yeah:

Rot in Hell with Clifford Olson, motherfucker.

QuoteOba Chandler executed for murdering Ohio mom, two daughters

STARKE — Oba Chandler was executed by lethal injection Tuesday for the murder of an Ohio mother and her two teenaged daughters 22 years ago in one of the most notorious crimes in Tampa Bay history.

The execution began at 4:08 p.m. and Chandler was pronounced at 4:25 p.m., hours after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to review Chandler's case. He was 65. He kept his eyes closed during the execution. When asked if he had a final statement, he said no.

Later, however, prison officials read a statement Chandler wrote, dated Tuesday:

"You are killing a innocent man today. Oba Chandler.''

Chandler was convicted of murdering Joan Rogers and her daughters, Michelle and Christe.

Hal Rogers, whose family Chandler murdered in 1989, attended the execution, wearing a suit and tie and sitting in the center of the room.

Chandler ate most of his modest final meal, served at 11 a.m., officials said. He finished two salami sandwiches on white bread and half of a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich. He declined the iced tea he ordered and drank coffee instead.

Chandler has no spiritual adviser and refused visitors, said Gretl Plessinger, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections.

"He's calm, he's compliant," Plessinger said. "He said that he may not verbalize a last statement."

No one from Chandler's family is permitted to watch the execution. He has not allowed any of them to visit him in prison, and none requested to visit him.

Outside the prison a 40-year-old woman who would not identify herself said she is one of Chandler's many children.

She has never met him and went to the prison to be nearby when he is executed. She called him a "very sick, evil human being."

Rogers, 36, came to Florida for a vacation with daughters Michelle, 17, and Christe, 14. Husband and father Hal Rogers stayed behind to tend their dairy farm in Willshire, Ohio.

The Rogers family was last seen alive on June 1, 1989. They were looking for their motel, the Days Inn on the Courtney Campbell Parkway, when they got lost in Tampa, investigators think. A friendly native scrawled down directions for them. That's how police think they met Chandler.

Three days later, their bodies were found floating off the St. Petersburg Pier and the Sunshine Skyway. They were all bound, all in a state of undress, and all tied to concrete blocks. Investigators suspected they had been raped, then drowned.

The first clue to identifying their killer was the rape of a Canadian woman two weeks earlier. The 24-year-old tourist told Madeira Beach police that she accepted a ride on a friendly stranger's boat, who then raped and threatened to kill her.

Tampa resident Jo Ann Steffey thought the sketch of the rape suspect looked just like her neighbor, Chandler. He had the same kind of boat described by the Canadian victim. But Steffey's tips went unheeded as the investigation bogged down in leads.

Then police released photos of the handwritten directions found in the Rogerses' car. Steffey and neighbor Mozelle Smith compared it to samples of Chandler's writing from paperwork for jobs he had done in the neighborhood. They thought it was a match, and faxed it to investigators.

When police finally focused on Chandler, all the pieces fit. The Canadian rape victim identified him. He was a career criminal who left behind a series of broken marriages and as many as nine children. He was also self-employed, which the FBI profile said would allow him to keep his own hours so he could meet his victims during the day and take them out on his boat at night. He was arrested on Sept. 24, 1992.

The case was so infamous locally that a jury had to be brought in from Orange County. In 1994 those jurors heard that five ship-to-shore calls were made from his boat, Gypsy 1, in the early hours of June 2, 1989. That put him in the bay hours after the Rogers family was last seen.

Jurors heard that Chandler bragged of his crimes to relatives and co-workers. Handwriting experts matched Chandler's writing to the directions given to the Rogers family. The jury heard the Canadian victim explained how Chandler charmed her, then attacked her. And jurors heard a boat mechanic puncture Chandler's story that he had broken down in the bay that night.

It took them 90 minutes to convict Chandler on Sept. 29, 1994. The next day, they recommend the death sentence for all three murders. Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Susan Schaeffer carried out that sentence on Nov. 4, 1994.

"One victim was first; two watched. Imagine the fear," Schaeffer wrote in her order. "One victim was second; one watched. Imagine the fear. Finally the last victim, who had seen the other two disappear over the side, was thrown overboard. Imagine the terror.

"Chandler's torture of these three women was over. Their panic and fear in the water before their merciful deaths is unfathomable."

Gov. Rick Scott signed Chandler's death warrant on Oct. 10. Chandler is the second man to be executed under Scott's watch. Manuel Valle was the first, put to death on Sept. 28 for killing a Coral Gables police officer in 1978.

And so you can know what crime that scumbag got needled for, Unsolved Mysteries had made a segment at the time when the three bodies had just been found. I watched it on TV when I was a kid at the time. Sorry for the bad quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9jY4XIc7mM

Razgovory

Clifford Olsen?  He was a councilmen here?  What did he do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

Neil

Sounds like a member of the seduction community.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.