News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Burn in Hell, Olson

Started by Drakken, September 30, 2011, 09:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Enough said.

Now the families may start the healing process with that motherfucker gone forever.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/clifford-olsons-death-greeted-by-relief-from-victims-families/article2186819/

Clifford Olson's death greeted by relief from victims' families

The death Friday of reviled sexual predator and child-killer Clifford Olson was greeted by relief from families of his victims, coupled with recognition that his notorious murder spree left a permanent mark on Canada's justice system.

Largely because of revulsion over Mr. Olson's persistent applications for parole despite his mandatory life sentence, parole eligibility for murderers has been tightened and the so-called "faint hope" clause stripped from the Criminal Code.

It also spurred a powerful victim rights movement that has become a prominent feature of justice proceedings.

"Little by little, we are making progress, and I think that's a good thing," said Raymond King, father of one of Mr. Olson's 11 victims, 15-year-old Raymond Jr.,

"It's helped [us cope]. We've fought long and hard for any advances we've made. You have to do something."

Mr. King is one of several parents of those killed by Mr. Olson who have been outspoken in their demands for harsher treatment of murderers and victim rights.

Sharon Rosenfeldt, mother of victim Daryn Todd Johnsrude, 16, founded – with her late husband Gary – the influential, national organization, Victims of Violence.

"We just felt so strongly and angry about the justice system, once we saw what was going on," said Ms. Rosenfeldt, after learning of Mr. Olson's death at 71 from cancer.

"It's been a real long journey, but we have had success," she said.

Ms. Rosenfeldt noted that 30 years ago she found out only on television that Mr. Olson, a Coquitlam construction contractor, had been arrested for the murder of her son and 10 other victims between nine and 18 years of age. "There were no victim services back then."

Friday, she was phoned by a Corrections Canada officer and told that Mr. Olson had died. "Just treating us humanely really, really means a lot."

Mr. Olson was convicted of first-degree murder in 1982. His victims, three boys and eight girls, were abducted, sexually assaulted, tortured and killed.

For years, he tormented victim families with his publicity-seeking antics and regular applications for parole.

Ontario lawyer John Hill, who acted as Mr. Olson's legal consultant from 1985 to 1990, said his client did a tremendous disservice to prisoner rights.

"What a manipulative megalomaniac he was. Every time he opened his mouth, it created a backlash," Mr. Hill said. "Anything Olson did, the government would pass legislation for it."

When Mr. Olson boasted that he was receiving an old age pension behind bars, Ottawa moved to end that, too.

Simon Fraser University criminologist Neil Boyd said Mr. Olson became "a kind of poster boy" for increased punishment and fewer rights of prisoners.

"His behaviour, his conduct, his crimes, were all used as a reason for lengthening sentences and sparking fear of crime," Prof. Boyd said. "Behind prison walls, he was reviled by other prisoners."

But he welcomed the role the Olson case had on improving victim rights in Canada.

"That's probably the only positive impact that one could imagine from Clifford Olson. There is now a much greater interest in providing victims with assistance and making them more aware of how the system works."

Victim families were prepared for the news of Mr. Olson's death, after being told last month that he was dying of cancer.

Nonetheless, Marie Wolfsteiner, mother of 16-year old victim, Sandra Lyn Wolfsteiner, said she still felt numb. "It's just something I'd like to forget. I can't judge him, but I know God will."

Mr. King said families have a chance, at last, to heal.

"We had 30 years when we couldn't really heal ourselves because of him, and now he's gone," Mr. King said. "It really helps. It gets one aspect of our lives over with."

He likened Mr. Olson's death to the ending of a terrible toothache.

"Suddenly, it goes away and it's just gone, and you don't have to think about it anymore. I'm sorry, man...." said Mr. King, his voice trembling with emotion. "We've been waiting for this. It's the last of these days [having to talk about Mr. Olson]."

Ms. Rosenfeldt said she felt great relief, knowing that Mr. Olson is dead.

"Clifford Olson has been part of our lives for so many years, tormenting us. In a way, it kept Daryn alive, and now we can really put him to rest. I can let him rest in peace."

A statement from the Correctional Service of Canada said Mr. Olson died of natural causes in the prison hospital of the Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines penitentiary.

If no next of kin claim Mr. Olson's body, corrections spokesman Serge Abergel said he will be buried in an undisclosed cemetery, likely in Quebec.

In a telephone conversation with CTV News last month, Mr. Olson's ex-wife said neither she nor the couple's son have had anything to do with her husband since he was arrested for his crimes in 1981.

"I don't have any feeling for him at all. This whole thing is just a nightmare," she said. "I'm quite happy and my son is quite happy, and that's the end of it."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

When you can't say anything nice about the recently deceased...

:zipped:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

I hope he hit them with a flower pot before they took him down. :weep:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 30, 2011, 10:04:19 PM

Usually yes.  But if this thread had not already been started my thread title was going to be "Rot in Hell Olson!"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Drakken

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2011, 10:04:48 AM

Usually yes.  But if this thread had not already been started my thread title was going to be "Rot in Hell Olson!"

That's the title I was about the give, but burning is more painful than rotting.

Anyone who has something good to say about Clifford Olson is an ass.

11B4V

Could have probably saved money and executed him.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Yes, Bree Olsen will burn in hell.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Quote from: Drakken on October 01, 2011, 01:31:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2011, 10:04:48 AM

That's the title I was about the give, but burning is more painful than rotting.

Anyone who has something good to say about Clifford Olson is an ass.

:shifty:

Well. He WAS taking canucks off the streets.  :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.