There’s Absolutely No Reason To Spend More Than $3 on a Bottle of Wine

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2011, 05:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2011, 03:09:33 PM
So how about some tips on good, relatively inexpensive wines?

For red, beaujolais.  But NOT the nouveau.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2011, 03:09:33 PM
So how about some tips on good, relatively inexpensive wines?

Kettle Valley is relatively inexpensive for BC wines while still turning out nice product.  Plus its a nice place to visit if you are the Naramata area.

http://www.kettlevalleywinery.com/scms.asp?node=50

Another good trick if you are travelling through some smaller communities is to visit the governement liquor stores.  They usually have some really nice wines sitting around (often for years) that have never sold because the local population buys beer.  And sometimes you can find them Marked Down even though their value has increased substantially while the store has cellared it for you.  But being a government liquor store they just look at it as getting rid of old inventory.  Even if it is not marked down you will still be able to buy it at the original price it was listed for when it entered the inventory of the store.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2011, 03:14:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2011, 03:12:55 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2011, 03:08:49 PM
If your income/consumption ratio is so poor that you have to worry about finding a good price then maybe you are an alcoholic or worse working class.

Its all about finding good quality.  If I could be assured that price scaled with in direct relation with quality then I wouldnt worry about it.

Sounds to me that it's about finding good value. Are you sure you're not a poor?

If I do not have good wine I consider myself poor indeed.

DGuller

I always wondered why people wanted to acquire taste for certain expensive things.  I would think that acquiring a lack of taste for certain things would be a much more practical hobby to pick up.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2011, 03:21:10 PM
I always wondered why people wanted to acquire taste for certain expensive things.  I would think that acquiring a lack of taste for certain things would be a much more practical hobby to pick up.

And at that point what would make life worth living?

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2011, 03:22:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2011, 03:21:10 PM

The bottles/boxes of wine that you can buy in much greater quantities.

fhdz

Having expensive tastes is what makes life worth living?
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: fahdiz on November 04, 2011, 03:24:59 PM

Having expensive tastes is what makes life worth living?

Having dulled taste would make life less worth living.  You are falling into the expense=quality trap.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2011, 03:20:01 PM
Kettle Valley is relatively inexpensive for BC wines while still turning out nice product.  Plus its a nice place to visit if you are the Naramata area.

Are wines from Washington state commonly available in BC?  Because there are lots of good deals coming out of there at every price point.  At the low end, Columbia Crest is quite reliable (and there is no lack of supply).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2011, 03:26:07 PM
Having dulled taste would make life less worth living.  You are falling into the expense=quality trap.

I'm not falling into any trap. :mellow: I asked a question based on your question.

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 04, 2011, 03:01:47 PM
Been going to wineries in California for years. One distinct trend I have seen is that places I used to go years ago that had been making great wine become more popular and then get more expensive. As that happens, the quality of the wine either plateaus or declines. Having to pay for a tasting is a big warning sign. Almost all of Napa and Sonoma have gone that way. You can still get great wine there, but it's not as cost effective as finding great wine in lesser known wineries in Placerville, Lodi, San Luis Obispo or Livermore. The trick is finding them as they are getting really good at making the product but before they blow up.

I did a wine tasting driving tour of the Niagara region when my brother and his wife were visiting (my wife kindly agreed to be the designated non-tasting driver).

What was hilarious, was that the cost of a tasting increased in direct purportion to the proximity of Niagara-On-Thr-Lake -- tastings in the furthest wineries were pretty nominal (50 cents a tasting); as you got closer, they went up to 75 cents, then $1 in Jordan, and then $2 near the town itself ... needless to say, this had no relation whatsoever to quality!

I picked up some nice wines that day, including some oddities like mead royale (which I very much liked - it is very sweet, but not as much so as icewine) from Rosewood Estates.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2011, 03:40:51 PM
I did a wine tasting driving tour of the Niagara region when my brother and his wife were visiting (my wife kindly agreed to be the designated non-tasting driver).

You didn't spit??!?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2011, 03:27:00 PM
Are wines from Washington state commonly available in BC?  Because there are lots of good deals coming out of there at every price point.  At the low end, Columbia Crest is quite reliable (and there is no lack of supply).

Washington State wines (as with all US wines) are hard to purchase here due to some very archaic liquor importation laws.  Whenever I make it down to Seattle I stock up.  I will look for Columbia Crest next chance I get.

crazy canuck

Quote from: fahdiz on November 04, 2011, 03:30:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2011, 03:26:07 PM

I'm not falling into any trap. :mellow: I asked a question based on your question.

You have fallen into the trap of thinking you are not already in a trap.

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2011, 03:58:37 PM
You have fallen into the trap of thinking you are not already in a trap.

Admiral Ackbar's going to be pissed at me. :(