Herman Cain Warns China Is Seeking ‘Nuclear Capability’

Started by jimmy olsen, November 02, 2011, 08:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2011, 05:30:43 AM
The map is generally weird. It has Eastern Germany for example.

Yeah, and Hungary has annexed Slovakia (or the other way around), and Yugoslavia is already broken up..  It does not really correspond to any real period of time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 02, 2011, 09:24:54 PM
Yeah it's obviously a slip of the tongue. But hey we can still make fun of him.
It is obviously a reflection of his belief, up to this point, that China didn't have nuclear weapons.  We can make fun of him for many more pressing reasons, though.  This blunder just shows that he isn't nearly qualigfied to be president, but we have known that for months.  He can be a great candidate without being a great candidate for president, and I hope he stays the course as long as possible.  Despite saying some silly and ignorant things, he also says a lot of important things that no one else has the balls to say.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 02, 2011, 09:49:08 PM
What strikes me as ridiculous is the notion that the US can and should outgrow China in terms of GDP.

China is an underdeveloped country with much of the population living in poverty.  The US is the most developed country in the world.  There's no way the US can outperform China - it's all a question of how does the US manage a growing China.
The US can certainly outgrow China in absolute and per-capita terms.  Why it would want to do so (give the likely environmental, political, and social costs) is, of course, the better question in your post.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 02, 2011, 09:49:08 PM
What strikes me as ridiculous is the notion that the US can and should outgrow China in terms of GDP.

China is an underdeveloped country with much of the population living in poverty.  The US is the most developed country in the world.  There's no way the US can outperform China - it's all a question of how does the US manage a growing China.

The notion is based on economics leading to political power of course.  It is naturally in everybody's economic interests that every country be rich and prosperous...but political power, unlike economics, is a zero-sum game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote"I'm ready for the 'gotcha' questions, and they're already starting to come," Cain said in a CBN interview last month. "And when they ask me who is the president of Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan, I'm going to say you know, I don't know. Do you know?"

That would be President Riki Tiki Tavi.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

It's kinda funny having people like Anne Coulter screaming about the unfairness of sexual harassment cases against politicians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

So what it takes to be a presidential candidate these days is to be a dumb fucker and proud of it?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2011, 09:56:15 AM
So what it takes to be a presidential candidate these days is to be a dumb fucker and proud of it?  :hmm:
I don't think you have to be proud of it...

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2011, 09:56:15 AM

That has always been true.  It shows you are salt of the earth American who will not be soft on the threat by dirty foreigners.

I was about to say that it strikes me that all you would need for a trap question for Cain is ask him who the Premier of China, President of Mexico, or Prime Minister of Canada is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 03, 2011, 09:50:18 AM
Quote"I'm ready for the 'gotcha' questions, and they're already starting to come," Cain said in a CBN interview last month. "And when they ask me who is the president of Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan, I'm going to say you know, I don't know. Do you know?"

That would be President Riki Tiki Tavi.

President Riki's got lots of good qualities - loyalty, courage, and the ability to kill cobras.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on November 03, 2011, 03:40:42 AM
Before I want to criticize Caine too much, is he talking about Red or White China?

pretty sure china is yellow.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

QuoteHotair, one of the blogs to catch Cain's comment, suggests there is some slight ambiguity there — that he may be referring to nuclear-powered aircraft carriers

Why the hell would he be talking about nuclear-powered aircraft carriers?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 03, 2011, 12:36:10 AM
Why do cities in the Russian Federation have Soviet names?

The game involves an Africa as well-stocked with nuclear weapons as the United States and a Chinese/Indian condominum.  It's not what you'd call: realistic.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

KRonn

I think Cain just mispoke. But he's really not ready for prime time. He seems to have little knowledge or basis in domestic economic policy, and he jokes about his lack of foreign polich knowledge. He'll be done for when he goes against any knowledgeable candidate, GOP or Dem. I'm really at a loss as to how he's one of the leaders in the GOP candidates.  He's a decent guy with a good sounding message but I feel he'll fade quickly enough as people understand that he's not too well informed, and we just don't need that as President.