Greece shocks markets with referendum on austerity

Started by garbon, November 01, 2011, 10:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on November 02, 2011, 08:49:53 AM
How is it racist when someone attacks blacks?  Racism is not biological...

Are you sure there is not some racist gene in there?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 02, 2011, 08:41:05 AM
Quote from: citizen k on November 02, 2011, 04:17:08 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 02, 2011, 01:26:06 AM
...tired racist morality tropes about hardworking Protestants and lazy Mediterraneans.

How is it racist when they're the same race?

You shut your mouth. Mediteranean types are not white, ergo a different race. :mad:

I don't think Protestant is a race though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

You shut your mouth. Mediteranean types are not white, ergo a different race. :mad:
:rolleyes: Channeling Slargos bullshit for a particular reason?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 02, 2011, 09:12:32 AM

He is in a weird mood today.  He has been making fun of plj's daughter's nose for some odd reason in the College Football thread.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

I've been trolling HVC for at least a year with the 'latinos are not white' line. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2011, 09:13:38 AM

He is in a weird mood today.  He has been making fun of plj's daughter's nose for some odd reason in the College Football thread.

Get it right - I was making fun of PLJ's nose. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2011, 06:46:37 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2011, 08:01:28 PM
It just made me wonder what can the Greeks do?

They can lower their wages and make their products and services competitive again.
As Grumbler said that doesn't solve the problem of their debt.  Plus - and this is why I oppose them returning to the Drachma - Greece has never been Germany.  Greece has always been a sclerotic economy that alternates between devaluation and high inflation.  So saying Greece needs to 'lower their wages and be competitive again' is like saying Germany needs to return to her role as the world centre of experimental high finance.

As I say I think a lot of this has been done to protect French and German banks, with little care for what's actually going to help Greece.  If they were a Latin American country they'd have had a very different program.

QuoteI don't see how any of that is going to magically make the money to pay back their lenders appear out of nowhere.
I'm closer to Mihali's view than I used to be.  But they'd default.  They'd do what Argentina's done which hasn't been easy but has been reasonably supported by Argentines.  According to Paul Mason's blog which I posted earlier the only reason he thinks that isn't setting itself up for the Greeks is that they don't have a Kirchner.  They've not got a charismatic, slightly autocratic political leader who can pull it off.

So instead the only party likely to campaign for a 'no' - which will mean they're out of the Euro - is the rather unreconstructed Communist party.  The rest, even the eco-left and the hard-right will probably support a 'yes' vote.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2011, 09:21:01 AM
As I say I think a lot of this has been done to protect French and German banks, with little care for what's actually going to help Greece.  If they were a Latin American country they'd have had a very different program.

Wait aren't they cutting like half of their debt?  That strikes me as trying to help Greece.

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2011, 09:23:27 AM

Wait aren't they cutting like half of their debt?  That strikes me as trying to help Greece.

Yes, but it's not really aimed at helping Greece. It's to prevent a default which (a) risks contagion and (b) means a hit on their banks.

There's nothing very charitable about this. If France and Germany could throw Greece to the wolves they would. And rightly so.

alfred russel

The cutting of debt strikes me as a default.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Gups

Martinus

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 02, 2011, 08:51:02 AM
I am not sure the model of household economics is especially relevant to the situation of States borrowing and international finance.

Yeah, sovereign debtors do not go bust because they borrowed more than they can repay per se, but because the cost of their debt suddenly skyrockets. While prudent financial politics can help here, a lot of this depends on external factors.

That does not mean of course that Greeks are faultless.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on November 02, 2011, 04:19:25 AM
it was the Greek people who basked in the shower of loaned money their leaders German bankers bathed them in.

Fixed

The Tamas/Martinus response helps explain why the EU is in danger of ending up a failed project.  Even at the level of the relatively well-informed elite (yeah, yeah, hold the jokes), there is a lack of understanding of the fundamental interconnections in the financial system.  There are no innocent parties here.  If some states got hooked on financial crack, their behavior was enabled by the states that chose to profit from being the drug dealers.  But what we see is that when a crisis arises, the pan-European balls of light rally around their tribes to chant and point fingers.  It is Lincoln's house divided against itself, and no amount of fancy contemporary European architecture can keep such a structure standing for the long run.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on November 02, 2011, 09:40:41 AM

The cutting of debt strikes me as a default.

Somebody needs to let those guys at the ISDA know.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: Gups on November 02, 2011, 09:42:22 AM
Not if it's agreed

I don't think many were agreeing out of the charity of in their hearts.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014