Greece shocks markets with referendum on austerity

Started by garbon, November 01, 2011, 10:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 02, 2011, 01:26:06 AM
...tired racist morality tropes about hardworking Protestants and lazy Mediterraneans.

How is it racist when they're the same race?

Tamas

The "omg finally Greek people will rise against the EVILS of capitalism!" comments would be extremely funny if they were not so dangerous.

it was the Greek people who basked in the shower of loaned money their leaders bathed them in. Now it is time to pay that money back, and suddenly it is below their dignity to do so?
Fuck them.

Martinus

Quote from: citizen k on November 02, 2011, 04:17:08 AM
...tired racist morality tropes about hardworking Protestants and lazy Mediterraneans.

"Racist" is another of these words.  :cool:

Razgovory

Got to agree with the black bread brigade here.  Greece isn't the victim of some colonial conspiracy here.  Unless you consider the Euro a form of colonization.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2011, 08:01:28 PM
It just made me wonder what can the Greeks do?

They can lower their wages and make their products and services competitive again.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2011, 06:46:37 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2011, 08:01:28 PM
It just made me wonder what can the Greeks do?

They can lower their wages and make their products and services competitive again.
But that doesn't solve the problem of the existing debt, it just reduces future debt.

I think we have to recognize that there is a point at which avoiding a Greek default and boot from the Euro zone is more expensive than just dealing with it.  In that sense, a Greek referendum makes some sense; not as much sense as an election, though.  P'do's referendum is just a circus held to avoid an election he would lose.

It needs to be made very clear to the Greeks that a no vote on the bailout is a no vote on Greece in the EU.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Good for the Greeks.  When "austerity" = squeezing the working class even further, it's worthless.  This is not 1942 Britain austerity, it is "austerity" precipitated by elite finance and reinforced by tired racist morality tropes about hardworking Protestants and lazy Mediterraneans.  Greece has always been a colonized nation, from the Ottomans to their degrading Danish monarchy to a brutal civil war 10 years after the Spanish to a US/NATO-backed dictatorship within recent memory that must have all but destroyed any faith of the citizenry in the virtues of the same neoliberalism that produced this very crisis.

If elite finance were to somehow rid itself of its tired racist morality tropes and neocolonialist attitudes, and then presumably lend as much money as Greece wanted to borrow at 3 or 4% interest, would everything turn out swell?

Razgovory

What were the rates they were borrowing at before?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Hey Mihali can i borrow some money? i promise t pay it back. and if i don't it's not like it'll ruin your finances or anything :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

You shut your mouth. Mediteranean types are not white, ergo a different race. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on November 02, 2011, 08:41:05 AM

You shut your mouth. Mediteranean types are not white, ergo a different race. :mad:
I've been insulted by a damn ukranian. One living in alberta, just to make it worse <_< :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Good for the Greeks.  When "austerity" = squeezing the working class even further, it's worthless.  This is not 1942 Britain austerity, it is "austerity" precipitated by elite finance and reinforced by tired racist morality tropes about hardworking Protestants and lazy Mediterraneans.  Greece has always been a colonized nation, from the Ottomans to their degrading Danish monarchy to a brutal civil war 10 years after the Spanish to a US/NATO-backed dictatorship within recent memory that must have all but destroyed any faith of the citizenry in the virtues of the same neoliberalism that produced this very crisis.

I don't see how any of that is going to magically make the money to pay back their lenders appear out of nowhere.

Unless you think having a history of victimization means you should not have to pay back loans.  Did neoliberalism render the Greek nation unable to do basic math when they were borrowing all that money?  Remind me never to loan money to anybody who has ever been colonized I guess it makes you think you get stuff for nothing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

How is it racist when someone attacks blacks?  Racism is not biological...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 02, 2011, 08:41:05 AM

Eh close enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

I am not sure the model of household economics is especially relevant to the situation of States borrowing and international finance.
Que le grand cric me croque !