Worst published prose you've ever encountered

Started by jimmy olsen, October 31, 2011, 05:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I was browsing through a list of "Fiction Novels featuring Prehistoric Animals, Mutant Beasts & Primeval Man" and I've been laughing at the absolutely terrible excerpts.

http://www.dinofan.com/dfFiction/FictionBooks.aspx

Like this one
Quote from: Clickers"Their barbed tails jabbed downward, bringing shrieking cries of pain from the old woman. Janice's limbs shook as giant claws dipped down, ripped flesh, stuffed them into their mandibles. Her stomach roiled as Mrs. Smith's abdomen began to swell, her housedress splitting from the intense pressure. Her body expanded and blew up like a hot water balloon, inflating to almost double her size before the skin split and reddish, meaty goo splashed over the crabs, drenching them in Old Woman Sauce."

So, it got me to thinking. What's the absolutely most ridiculously bad prose you've ever encountered that was actually published?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Why is Old Woman Sauce capitalized?  Is it a trademarked name, like Pace Picante?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Actually published as in paid for and money spent on production and distribution?  It would have to be a Margaret Atwood book, but that doesn't narrow it down.  Maybe Alias Grace.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2011, 06:05:46 PM
Actually published as in paid for and money spent on production and distribution?
Yeah
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

Languish has turned out to be less snobbish than I expected.  :hmm:

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2011, 06:05:46 PM
Actually published as in paid for and money spent on production and distribution?  It would have to be a Margaret Atwood book, but that doesn't narrow it down.  Maybe Alias Grace.
Is that the one of Malthus fame, or is there another?

Jacob

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Does Malthus care that you guys are throwing this out there? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Kinemalogue