News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

First snow of the year

Started by grumbler, October 29, 2011, 11:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Been a warm fall here.  Most of the leaves are on the trees still.  I've noticed this happening more and more as the years go by.  When I was a kid the leaves were off the trees a week before Halloween.  Also there are armadillos here now.  I know those didn't live in the area twenty years ago.  Al Gore was right. :ph34r:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

Just got back from the grocery.  Sunny and in the 60s.  I was wearing shorts. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on October 30, 2011, 01:52:57 PM
Just got back from the grocery.  Sunny and in the 60s.  I was wearing shorts. :cool:

It's low 60's here too, but raining buckets.

Caliga

Where do you live?  I forget. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Eastern Massachusetts. I got about 2 or 3 inches of snow, not enough to shovel, and by afternoon on the driveway it's melted. My brother is about 15 miles inland of me and he got six inches of snow, enough to use his snowblower on. But he's lost power for about 12 hours now, and without electric start on the snowblower the thing won't start on the pull cord. Just like mine has trouble with when the engine is cold. No power outgages for me, thankfully.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2011, 11:53:41 AM
Been a warm fall here.  Most of the leaves are on the trees still.  I've noticed this happening more and more as the years go by.  When I was a kid the leaves were off the trees a week before Halloween.  Also there are armadillos here now.  I know those didn't live in the area twenty years ago.  Al Gore was right. :ph34r:
Maybe the armadillos are gluing the leaves back on the trees in the  dead of night.  :ph34r:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

We've had a return of coyotes here for some years now, probably over twenty now, long time. I saw coyote tracks in my backyard in the snow; pretty sure they were, as the prints all follow in a straight line. I don't think dog prints follow each other. I've seen those tracks before though, and seen coyotes. And this is a heavily populated area just southwest of Boston.

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on October 30, 2011, 01:56:42 PM
Where do you live?  I forget. :blush:

About 25 miles southwest of Portland Oregon.

garbon

I was watching Columbia play Yale up in the Bronx. I left at the half after my feet were frozen. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: KRonn on October 30, 2011, 02:19:26 PM
We've had a return of coyotes here for some years now, probably over twenty now, long time. I saw coyote tracks in my backyard in the snow; pretty sure they were, as the prints all follow in a straight line. I don't think dog prints follow each other. I've seen those tracks before though, and seen coyotes. And this is a heavily populated area just southwest of Boston.
Where they native to New England? I thought they were just moving in and filling the void left by the eradication of wolves.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

I don't know if the coyotes were native to New England at one time; I don't think so. I think many of them migrated from western US areas over time, and in the last 20-30 years seem to have become a lot more plentiful.