News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

First snow of the year

Started by grumbler, October 29, 2011, 11:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The rain here has turned to snow.  The predictions were that, should that happen, we may get up to 4" of snow.

I don't think I've had snow here in October before.  In fact, I haven't given my lawn its final haircut yet.

I am sure that the radio morons will be baying about how this disproves global warming!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Just rain down here. Seems like even in NoVA its a bit warm for snow - is it sticking?

I was going to go to a drive-in theater with some friends today, but the snow cancelled it.
Not sure exactly what we're gonna do now, but I'd like to do something with them before I leave for China.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

It was below freezing this morning now but it's sunny and in the 50s now... which is still unusually cold for us this time of year.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Snowing here too, I just see a wall of white where the view of Manhattan usually is.  Doesn't seem to be snowing hard enough to leave much accumulation, though.

Darth Wagtaros

We got a sprinkling Thursday night, and ice Friday morning. Tonight we are due for 6-12 inches and a bit more in the morning. Messy.  Shame its a weekend.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 29, 2011, 11:34:35 AM
Just rain down here. Seems like even in NoVA its a bit warm for snow - is it sticking?

I was going to go to a drive-in theater with some friends today, but the snow cancelled it.
Not sure exactly what we're gonna do now, but I'd like to do something with them before I leave for China.
It was sticking for a bit on the grass, but not on pavement.  It has stopped snowing and warmed up to above freezing, so we are done for the moment, I think.  Just rain from here on out, until tonight.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

First snow of the year? We had plenty in January-March in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

No snow yet, but lots of morning frost the last two days.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

No snow yet.

You know it's actually around this time of year where I'm convinced there must be something to this 'global warming' thing.  As a kid there was ALWAYS snow on the ground for Hallowe'en, but that hasn't been the case for many years now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

I went to a store looking for a vest earlier and the two supermarkets in the plaza were packed with frenzied shoppers. You'd think it were hell on earth. Even a foot of snow will have melted off by late tomorrow.
PDH!

dps

No snow here, but the temperature is forcast to be down near freezing tonight.  If it hits the freezing point, it'll be the first time this fall.

Haven't really lived here long enough to say from experience how normal this is, but according to Yahoo!Weather, the average daily low for October here is 51F.

katmai

Still waiting on snow here in Alaska.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

HisMajestyBOB

Just came back down from NoVA. The ice on the bridges is absolutely terrible up there, even on the major roads. Normally I take Rt. 123 south to I-95, but the police had closed off the entire bridge over Fairfax County Parkway. The short bridge right before that was covered in black ice, but fortunately it was short enough that I didn't slide out of control. Saw a few cars in ditches though.

Ended up going north to I-66, then taking that to 495 then 95 South. The highways were clear and salted, as I figured that would be. Braddock and 50 east were reportedly pretty bad.

Apparently there's lots of people without power in Pennsylvania, too. Lots of snow and ice on trees that still have all their fall leaves, causing them to fall onto powerlines and roads.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jaron

No snow yet but such chills as I've never felt.
Winner of THE grumbler point.