Beavers can’t cut it as national emblem, but polar bears can, senator says

Started by jimmy olsen, October 28, 2011, 11:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on October 28, 2011, 02:53:22 PM
Why not use both?

Heh, guys who are into bears and guys who are into beaver just don't get along ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 03:01:53 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 28, 2011, 02:53:22 PM
Why not use both?

Heh, guys who are into bears and guys who are into beaver just don't get along ...  :D

Why not? It isn't like they are competing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2011, 02:05:09 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 28, 2011, 01:50:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 01:45:12 PMYou are missing the joke ...

You think so? Tim? That's so out of character for him....
People say that a lot but about me but it's just not true. I get the joke, but if I disagree with one of the premises I'm going to object. I don't care if it's a joke. It doesn't matter if it was hilarious, and the party being made fun deserves it.

The intent of Malthus's post was obvious. Canadian senators could be the laziest motherfuckers in the history of humanity and deserve not one dime of their salary. Neither of those things matter to me. If I object to the labeling of Polar bears 'scavengers' in a pejorative way, then I'm going to make my objective known. And if people want to whine at me for "not getting the joke" or for "nit picking" I don't give a damn, they can go fuck themselves.
....I love this.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2011, 02:05:09 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 28, 2011, 01:50:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 01:45:12 PMYou are missing the joke ...

You think so? Tim? That's so out of character for him....
People say that a lot but about me but it's just not true. I get the joke, but if I disagree with one of the premises I'm going to object. I don't care if it's a joke. It doesn't matter if it was hilarious, and the party being made fun deserves it.

The intent of Malthus's post was obvious. Canadian senators could be the laziest motherfuckers in the history of humanity and deserve not one dime of their salary. Neither of those things matter to me. If I object to the labeling of Polar bears 'scavengers' in a pejorative way, then I'm going to make my objective known. And if people want to whine at me for "not getting the joke" or for "nit picking" I don't give a damn, they can go fuck themselves.

:showoff:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Zoupa

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I never knew our Canadians were such fervent supporters of beavers.

Ideologue

Quote from: JacobI don't know, I think an industrious, adaptable survivor is a pretty good symbol, especially compared to one that face extinction as its habitat is reduced.

A polar bear is a good symbol for a country with pretentions of being a 'big power' but not for Canada. We have neither the population nor the military budget to be embody a 'polar bear' symbol.

If we want a symbol more muscular than a beaver, hockey players and lumberjacks will do just fine as a supplement to (not replacement of) beavers.

Maybe Canadians can use an F-18 as their symbol.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2011, 04:48:35 PM
Quote from: JacobI don't know, I think an industrious, adaptable survivor is a pretty good symbol, especially compared to one that face extinction as its habitat is reduced.

A polar bear is a good symbol for a country with pretentions of being a 'big power' but not for Canada. We have neither the population nor the military budget to be embody a 'polar bear' symbol.

If we want a symbol more muscular than a beaver, hockey players and lumberjacks will do just fine as a supplement to (not replacement of) beavers.
Maybe Canadians can use an F-18 as their symbol.
Why would we do that?  The F-18 is unimpressive.

Besides, our human mascot is a Mountie.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.