Beavers can’t cut it as national emblem, but polar bears can, senator says

Started by jimmy olsen, October 28, 2011, 11:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 12:19:36 PM
An appointed senator would prefer an animal notable for scavenging over one that is notable for its hard work? Why is that not surprising?   :lol:

:lol:

Neil

An appointed senator would prefer an animal notable for scavenging over one that is notable for its hard work? Why is that not surprising?   :lol:

Good catch.

At any rate, this is retarded.  Just the fact that Tim is for it is enough to demonstrate the problem.  He'll probably post picutres of Dudley Do-Right or the Mountie as Polar Bear cavalry now.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

The Lion is a notable scavenger as well, as are all large carnivores. I don't see anyone holding that against it when choosing national symbols. The Polar Bear, like the Lion, is quite capable of and often does kill big game.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2011, 01:41:11 PM
The Lion is a notable scavenger as well, as are all large carnivores. I don't see anyone holding that against it when choosing national symbols. The Polar Bear, like the Lion, is quite capable of and often does kill big game.

You are missing the joke ... in Canada, unlike the US, senators are plum patronage appointments. Senators are notorious for in effect doing nothing (but collecting a hefty salary).

For a senator to come out swinging against the beaver, symbol of hard work (the phrase "busy as a beaver" is proverbial), in favour of a scavanger, is therefore amusing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 01:45:12 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2011, 01:41:11 PM

You are missing the joke ... in Canada, unlike the US, senators are plum patronage appointments. Senators are notorious for in effect doing nothing (but collecting a hefty salary).

For a senator to come out swinging against the beaver, symbol of hard work (the phrase "busy as a beaver" is proverbial), in favour of a scavanger, is therefore amusing.
I don't care about the senators, it's insulting to the bears to be compared to them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on October 28, 2011, 01:50:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 01:45:12 PMYou are missing the joke ...

You think so? Tim? That's so out of character for him....

Well, this once I'll give him the benefit of the doubt - most Americans will not have heard about the Canadian Senate, or really know anything about it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 01:45:12 PMYou are missing the joke ...

People say that a lot but about me but it's just not true. I get the joke, but if I disagree with one of the premises I'm going to object. I don't care if it's a joke. It doesn't matter if it was hilarious, and the party being made fun deserves it.

The intent of Malthus's post was obvious. Canadian senators could be the laziest motherfuckers in the history of humanity and deserve not one dime of their salary. Neither of those things matter to me. If I object to the labeling of Polar bears 'scavengers' in a pejorative way, then I'm going to make my objective known. And if people want to whine at me for "not getting the joke" or for "nit picking" I don't give a damn, they can go fuck themselves.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Tim getting worked up about insults to polar bears is a lot funnier than the joke about Canadian senators IMO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2011, 02:08:13 PM
Tim getting worked up about insults to polar bears is a lot funnier than the joke about Canadian senators IMO.
It was more about the "doesn't get the joke" accusation in general, I was just using the polar bears as an example since it inspired the latest incident.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2011, 02:05:09 PM

People say that a lot but about me but it's just not true. I get the joke, but if I disagree with one of the premises I'm going to object. I don't care if it's a joke. It doesn't matter if it was hilarious, and the party being made fun deserves it.

The intent of Malthus's post was obvious. Canadian senator could be the laziest motherfuckers in the history of humanity and deserve not one dime of their salary. Neither of those things matter to me. If I object to the labeling of Polar bears 'scavengers' in a pejorative way, then I'm going to make my objective known. And if people want to whine at me for "not getting the joke" or for "nit picking" I don't give a damn, they can go fuck themselves.

The polar bears applaud their proud defender. Then, they eat him.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 02:17:09 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2011, 02:05:09 PM

The intent of Malthus's post was obvious. Canadian senator could be the laziest motherfuckers in the history of humanity and deserve not one dime of their salary. Neither of those things matter to me. If I object to the labeling of Polar bears 'scavengers' in a pejorative way, then I'm going to make my objective known. And if people want to whine at me for "not getting the joke" or for "nit picking" I don't give a damn, they can go fuck themselves.

The polar bears applaud their proud defender. Then, they eat him.
As they kill me I shout "I was right, they're carnivores not scav..."

1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.