‘It Gets Heated’: Twin Sisters Divided Over Occupy Wall Street

Started by garbon, October 28, 2011, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2011, 02:54:50 PM
A giant Komodo Dragon lived in Australia that was 5-7 meters long. It went mysteriously extinct after the aborigines showed up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalania#Size
and the aborinies showed up mysteriously after catastrophic climate change.

Sides, come on tim, comparing a monitor lizard (big though it may be) to dinosaurs. You know more than that.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2011, 02:36:43 PM
Is that why climbers take oxygen up there?
Obviously not talking about the peaks of Everest here.  :rolleyes:

One of my partners has gone to the base of Everest to help clean up all the oxgen tanks left behind by other climbers.  Notice that is at the base camp level that the litter of oygen tanks starts accumulating - not the peaks.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2011, 02:58:04 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2011, 02:54:50 PMA giant Komodo Dragon lived in Australia that was 5-7 meters long. It went mysteriously extinct after the aborigines showed up.

I'm pretty sure that Australia is more than 5-7 metres long.

It shrunk under the weight of the giant Komodo that lived there.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2011, 02:46:40 PM
also, how the hell did we get onto the topic of time traveling cavemen.

Black Widow reference.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2011, 02:58:15 PM
A giant Komodo Dragon lived in Australia that was 5-7 meters long. It went mysteriously extinct after the aborigines showed up.

Sides, come on tim, comparing a monitor lizard (big though it may be) to dinosaurs. You know more than that.
Komodo Dragons kill people today and they barely get to 3 meters long. A Komodo Dragon that was twice as long and far more massive would obviously be quite dangerous to come into contact with.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2011, 02:58:43 PM

One of my partners has gone to the base of Everest to help clean up all the oxgen tanks left behind by other climbers.  Notice that is at the base camp level that the litter of oygen tanks starts accumulating - not the peaks.
Tibetan plateau is 13,000 ft higher than sea level and has been populated for over 20,000 years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

Re komodo's since my phone won't let me quote:

They're cold blooded. Get em between a few hours of of dawn and after dusk and they're easy kills. You can't use that as a comparison.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2011, 03:47:03 PM

Tibetan plateau is 13,000 ft higher than sea level and has been populated for over 20,000 years.

So

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2011, 02:58:15 PM

What happened 40,000 years ago?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2011, 03:57:03 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2011, 03:47:03 PM

So
So people can adapt to less oxygen.

1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2011, 04:08:51 PM
[/quote]

Ok, all species can adapt to changing conditions. At some point the species may adapt to the point it becomes a different species.  How does that help your that oxygen tanks are only used in the peaks of the Himalayas?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2011, 04:21:55 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2011, 04:08:51 PM

Ok, all species can adapt to changing conditions. At some point the species may adapt to the point it becomes a different species.  How does that help your that oxygen tanks are only used in the peaks of the Himalayas?
I was using the peaks of Everest as a metaphorical example. Don't go all Grumbler on me.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2011, 11:00:24 AM
Nope.  In the Cretaceous, the atmosphere had 50% more oxygen, and also ~500% more CO2, but not enough to pose a health hazard so far as I know--at least in the short term; long-term exposure to five- or sixfold CO2 levels may manifest some bad effects.  Actually, though, I suspect some devices might have to be redesigned to work properly--internal combustion engines specifically.  And heightened O2 may mean greater incidence of cancer?  I dunno, I'm not a doctor.
Which model are you using to support your argument?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.