‘It Gets Heated’: Twin Sisters Divided Over Occupy Wall Street

Started by garbon, October 28, 2011, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 29, 2011, 09:04:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 29, 2011, 07:51:28 PM
We've had hundreds of thousands, which is a good run.  And Tyrannosaurus never exerted the same power that a human does.
I'd imagine they had comparable power to a Stone Age band of hunters. So we're back to mere thousands.
Not even close.  Stone age hunters manipulated their environment to a degree that the T-rex could never have dreamed of.  Hell, pre-Sapiens members of the Homo genus were far superior to the Tyrannosaurus.  Tyrannosaurus didn't use fire.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

I think you're giving intelligence too much weight. Sure, hominids have always been more clever and so able to manipulate their environment, but we weren't as securely ensconced at the top of the food chain.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

T. rex didn't hunt in packs using spears and communication, either.

Also, there are major advantages to not weighing as much as a t. rex.  Wasn't there a major risk of death from what we would consider minor falls?  Iirc, elephants are pretty vulnerable to that sort of thing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 29, 2011, 09:37:43 PM
I think you're giving intelligence too much weight. Sure, hominids have always been more clever and so able to manipulate their environment, but we weren't as securely ensconced at the top of the food chain.
It's impossible to give tool-using, environment-changing intelligence too much weight.  It's the magic bullet.

Besides, Homo has been an apex predator for the last million years and change.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 29, 2011, 09:59:41 PM
T. rex didn't hunt in packs using spears and communication, either.

Also, there are major advantages to not weighing as much as a t. rex.  Wasn't there a major risk of death from what we would consider minor falls?  Iirc, elephants are pretty vulnerable to that sort of thing.

They might have.  They needed something to do with those little arms.  Humanity has already set off minor extinction event.  I doubt the T. Rex could pull that off, or survive it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 29, 2011, 10:00:00 PM

In packs. Alone humans are vulnerable. But not so much now that our reach is everywhere and we ruthlessly hunt down other predators that presume to attack one of ours.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2011, 05:33:33 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 29, 2011, 10:00:00 PM
In packs. Alone humans are vulnerable. But not so much now that our reach is everywhere and we ruthlessly hunt down other predators that presume to attack one of ours.
So what?  Wolves also hunt in packs.  That doesn't make them any less a top predator.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2011, 02:23:16 PM
Quote from: chipwich on October 28, 2011, 08:16:36 PM
I've been hearing that "OMG Infrastructure" yarn for a decade now, so far everything's intact.

Well except for that bridge in Minnesota.

and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 29, 2011, 09:04:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 29, 2011, 07:51:28 PM
We've had hundreds of thousands, which is a good run.  And Tyrannosaurus never exerted the same power that a human does.

I'd imagine they had comparable power to a Stone Age band of hunters. So we're back to mere thousands.
A stone age band of hunters could surely kill a Tyrannosaurus.

If you transported a few thousands paleolithic H. sapiens to 85 million years ago ala Terra Nova I don't think they'd have to difficult a time spreading all over the world.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I wonder if the increased oxygen would make the humans larger.  Also wonder if there were any plants they could domesticate.  Domesticating dinosaurs would be tricky, due to the long maturation, large size, and low intelligence.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2011, 01:13:12 AM
A stone age band of hunters could surely kill a Tyrannosaurus.

If you transported a few thousands paleolithic H. sapiens to 85 million years ago ala Terra Nova I don't think they'd have to difficult a time spreading all over the world.

The way the Terra Nova writers have it, 22d century man still has a bit of trouble.  :lol:

I doubt dinos were as bullet-resistant as depicted in that show, but versus stone age weapons and nets? I think the hominids would end up dwelling in caves and densely packed forests while the big dinosaurs still dominated the plains.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.