‘It Gets Heated’: Twin Sisters Divided Over Occupy Wall Street

Started by garbon, October 28, 2011, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2011, 11:39:35 AM
Ya, as a job description that beats most out there :lol:

Also, i'm not saying those transported humans would be wiped out in a week of arriving. They'd probably do very well (ignoring stuff like oxygen levels and disease). Humans are really good at killing stuff. This is made doubly impressive that as a predator we're awkwardly built. We can't see very well, can't smell very well, we're weak and have no claws or effective teeth. We're smart and have amazing endurance. i'm just not on timmy boat that they'd arrive and become new kings of the world. Short faced bears, sabertooth tigers, cave lions and my personal favourite those giant ass wolves are all impressive and all deadly, but tiny in comparrison to dinos.

I dunno If I'd describe a bear the size of an elephant as "tiny".  :lol: It may be smaller than the largest predatory dinos, but it would give the majority a run for their money ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Also, i'm not saying those transported humans would be wiped out in a week of arriving. They'd probably do very well (ignoring stuff like oxygen levels and disease). Humans are really good at killing stuff. This is made doubly impressive that as a predator we're awkwardly built. We can't see very well, can't smell very well, we're weak and have no claws or effective teeth. We're smart and have amazing endurance. i'm just not on timmy boat that they'd arrive and become new kings of the world. Short faced bears, sabertooth tigers, cave lions and my personal favourite those giant ass wolves are all impressive and all deadly, but tiny in comparrison to dinos.

One theory about the rise of humans as predators is actually based on our ability to see extremely well compared to other predators, in that we have eyes on top of a tall body, which is ideally suited for hunting in the plains, since it means you can see your prey with minimal exposure yourself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2011, 11:48:10 AM

I dunno If I'd describe a bear the size of an elephant as "tiny".  :lol: It may be smaller than the largest predatory dinos, but it would give the majority a run for their money ...
i had only looked at the wiki one . didn't look that big (though i'd shit myself if i saw one up close haha)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 31, 2011, 11:47:49 AM
I think the decline in most apex predators in the face of humanity is generally thought to be more based on humans out-compteing them for prey, rather than humans hunting them as prey.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that predators make crappy prey - they usually don't have much edible meat on them relative to the amount of energy needed to kill one, at least compared to prey animals.

I think it was a combo - humans on occasion killed predators off, and more commonly killed off their prey. 

The primary reason to hunt apex predators, if modern human behaviour is any guide, was not simply as handy food, but to demonstrate prowess, for purposes of magic and ritual, and to eliminate a potential threat.

Humans have always found apex predators awesome - there's a Timmay in every era  :D - and what could be a more convincing demonstration of a tribe's power than bringing one down and using its skull in rituals?

There is some evidence this happened - for example, some caves featuring prehistoric cave-paintings also feature bear skulls arranged in a purposeful pattern. Unknown as to whether the skulls were trophies or scavanged, of course. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

I would guess that once humans started settling down (whether that be real settlements or just defined ranges) there was considerable pressure to kill off other apex predators simply so that humans could have all the prey to themselves.

Hell, this is kind of the first step towards domestication of herd animals, I would guess. Kill off all the other threats to them...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2011, 11:55:50 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 31, 2011, 11:47:49 AM
I think the decline in most apex predators in the face of humanity is generally thought to be more based on humans out-compteing them for prey, rather than humans hunting them as prey.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that predators make crappy prey - they usually don't have much edible meat on them relative to the amount of energy needed to kill one, at least compared to prey animals.

I think it was a combo - humans on occasion killed predators off, and more commonly killed off their prey. 

The primary reason to hunt apex predators, if modern human behaviour is any guide, was not simply as handy food, but to demonstrate prowess, for purposes of magic and ritual, and to eliminate a potential threat.

Humans have always found apex predators awesome - there's a Timmay in every era  :D - and what could be a more convincing demonstration of a tribe's power than bringing one down and using its skull in rituals?

There is some evidence this happened - for example, some caves featuring prehistoric cave-paintings also feature bear skulls arranged in a purposeful pattern. Unknown as to whether the skulls were trophies or scavanged, of course.

That's why we're so great: we're the only species that can consciously devote itself to a campaign of extermination.  Fuck you, cave bears!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Human beings also tend to kill predators to get rid of competition.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2011, 11:01:30 AM
ya, but mammoths weren't trying to track us down and eat us either. Humans have been prey for many a large mammal until fairly recently in our species' time frame. Make that predator a few tonnes and spears wouldn't be as effective as you imagine. Could humans kill a T-Rex? sure. Could we as a stone age species over throw them and the other large predators? I don't see it.

Also, T-Rex's did hunt in packs, they think anyway. Juveniles and their parents.

That's speculative. I've read a ton of books on dinosaurs, and unless something new has come out in the last few years I don't think that's been proved.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2011, 11:06:32 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2011, 11:00:24 AM
Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2011, 10:57:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2011, 08:26:13 AM
I wonder if the increased oxygen would make the humans larger.  Also wonder if there were any plants they could domesticate.  Domesticating dinosaurs would be tricky, due to the long maturation, large size, and low intelligence.
i thought they had less oxygen back then?

Nope.  In the Cretaceous, the atmosphere had 50% more oxygen, and also ~500% more CO2, but not enough to pose a health hazard so far as I know--at least in the short term; long-term exposure to five- or sixfold CO2 levels may manifest some bad effects.  Actually, though, I suspect some devices might have to be redesigned to work properly--internal combustion engines specifically.  And heightened O2 may mean greater incidence of cancer?  I dunno, I'm not a doctor.
that's what i meant, as a mixture there was less oxygen. So for each breath you got less oxygen then you do now. As a general rule mammallian lungs sucks. That's why i was confused becasue i thought a theory for tiny mammals was that there just wasn't enough oxygen in the air.
People live fine in the Andes and Himalayas, they can adjust.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2011, 02:35:23 PM

People live fine in the Andes and Himalayas, they can adjust.
it's not just a matter of thin oxygen. Different oxygen mixes affect the transfer of CO2 and Oxygen in the blood. Also, high altitude people are not the most active bunch. Sure they don't get altitude sickness like others, but low oxygen levels (let alone high CO2 levels) should not be ignored. Humans, even those with a higher blood cell count like sherpas, are ill adapted.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

also, how the hell did we get onto the topic of time traveling cavemen.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2011, 02:36:43 PM
Is that why climbers take oxygen up there?
Obviously not talking about the peaks of Everest here.  :rolleyes:

People have adapted to living on the Tibetan plateau and other places with a lot less oxygen.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/02/0224_040225_evolution.html

A giant Komodo Dragon lived in Australia that was 5-7 meters long. It went mysteriously extinct after the aborigines showed up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalania#Size

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2011, 02:54:50 PMA giant Komodo Dragon lived in Australia that was 5-7 meters long. It went mysteriously extinct after the aborigines showed up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalania#Size

I'm pretty sure that Australia is more than 5-7 metres long.