News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 17, 2014, 11:32:48 PM
Did you just call Sean Connery gay? I am offended.

James Bond never dynamited the Rock Island and Pacific in '69 killin' women and children an' all, wasn't more cold blooded than William Bonney or Clay Alisson or the James Brothers and never killed a U.S. Marshall in '73.

derspiess

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 17, 2014, 10:46:54 PM
The type of gun I'm selecting tends to be the least of my troubles in terms of getting laughed at by people at the gun range. :lol:

I've been to a lot of ranges & I've never seen someone get laughed at or looked at funny for shooting a .22 rifle or pistol.  Lots of people use adapters to fire .22 in full caliber weapons or completely separate .22 versions to train with.  It's a fun & inexpensive round to shoot.  Only downside for .22 at the moment is that it's hard to find due to a continuing ammo shortage (thanks hoarders!).  But for short range target shooting and plinking, it's a great choice. 

For any kind of defense, I'd probably wield a baseball bat before a .22, unless it looked scary enough to make someone run away.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

:lol:  So it's you.

Stocking ammo is no crime-- I do it when prices are favorable.  But those ordering 5000 at a time need a beatin'.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

derspiess

Ed Anger

I do still have 3000+ 7.62 rounds, bought with Raz's favorite currency, silver.

MAH SILVER.

MadBurgerMaker

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2014, 09:05:43 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 17, 2014, 10:46:54 PM
The type of gun I'm selecting tends to be the least of my troubles in terms of getting laughed at by people at the gun range. :lol:

I've been to a lot of ranges & I've never seen someone get laughed at or looked at funny for shooting a .22 rifle or pistol.  Lots of people use adapters to fire .22 in full caliber weapons or completely separate .22 versions to train with.  It's a fun & inexpensive round to shoot.  Only downside for .22 at the moment is that it's hard to find due to a continuing ammo shortage (thanks hoarders!).  But for short range target shooting and plinking, it's a great choice. 

For any kind of defense, I'd probably wield a baseball bat before a .22, unless it looked scary enough to make someone run away.

Can't agree there - obviously a .22 has little stopping power as the rounds are tiny, and it isn't what I'd choose for defence if I had a choice, but having seen what softnose .22 ammo does to porkupines during my father's jihad against that species, I'd say it could still do a lot of damage.

Apparently, the Israelis adopted a .22 gun for non-lethal use, only to find it generally killed people all the same. The non-lethality of this calibre is overblown - people's bodies do not react well to having even very small bullets shot into them with (comparatively) little force.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

So I'm seeing is that AR was all like:

And languish responded accordingly.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 01:00:57 PM
Apparently, the Israelis adopted a .22 gun for non-lethal use, only to find it generally killed people all the same. The non-lethality of this calibre is overblown - people's bodies do not react well to having even very small bullets shot into them with (comparatively) little force.

A .22 can kill, for sure.  Instant lethality/incapacitation  is the key here, though.  I don't have a huge house with long hallways, so any home invasion would be very much close quarters for me.  If I only had a .22 I'd probably trust a baseball bat to drop the burglar more quickly than the gun.

A .38 pistol would be the bare minimum I'd go with if I were relying on a firearm for home defense, but YMMV.

Ed Anger

You never know when a huk is gonna attack you.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger