And we're back!

Main Menu

American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2014, 05:04:09 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 04:43:09 PM
With all due respect, websites like this all sound like they are written by people who expect unstoppable ninja attacks on themselves regularly.  :lol:

I bet they do.  But this one's a pretty well-respected guy.  I didn't just randomly pick an article.

Respected or not, when a guy is claiming that having less than ten rounds in your .45 isn't enough, and stating that one really ought to practice shooting while lying in bed holding a flashlight, I think he's a bit off the deep end into paranoia.  :lol:

The whole premise of the article is that shooting a guy point-blank in the face three times with a .45 may not stop him, which may be true in some theoretical sense, or have happened once to the old dude in the article, but the vast majority of faces out there aren't really that bulletproof.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadBurgerMaker

I don't think it's a particularly bad idea for most regular people to have a (relatively) lot of bullets ready to go vs. just the handful in your sweet 80s buddycop show snub nose revolver.  Regular people probably have a pretty good chance of missing a whole bunch if they're in a shitty situation where they're shooting at someone in their house for the first time. 

E:  And also because:  Between misses, the regular guy's MANSTOPPER 9000 bullets may not actually be as effective as the box makes it appear.

Ed Anger

I carry spare magazines. What if I'm attacked by ninjas?

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

How prevalent are home invasions in the US?

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 05:12:49 PM
With all due respect, websites like this all sound like they are written by people who expect unstoppable ninja attacks on themselves regularly.  :lol:

I bet they do.  But this one's a pretty well-respected guy.  I didn't just randomly pick an article.

Respected or not, when a guy is claiming that having less than ten rounds in your .45 isn't enough, and stating that one really ought to practice shooting while lying in bed holding a flashlight, I think he's a bit off the deep end into paranoia.  :lol:

The whole premise of the article is that shooting a guy point-blank in the face three times with a .45 may not stop him, which may be true in some theoretical sense, or have happened once to the old dude in the article, but the vast majority of faces out there aren't really that bulletproof.

Okay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2014, 05:24:12 PM

I calculated I was several times more likely to be shot if I had a gun in the house than a home invader. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Going by the news, in darkie areas, a lot.

Where I'm at, not much at all. A ninja did try to break into vagina wall house though. His ineffectual attempt to defeat the front door lock gave me plenty of time to set up an ambush point.

He fled though when he couldn't break in.  :(

Razgovory

Most home invasions by Ninjas go unreported.  You never even knew they were there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 05:12:49 PM

You are going to want to have at least a Thompson submachine gun when Obama breaks into your basement and starts replacing the wood paneling with death paneling.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Actually, they're surprisingly common in Baltimore but it's usually a variant of the drug dealer violence meme, e.g., trying to rip off a dealer's stash and cash in his home by wanna be gangstas, etc.

The type of home invasion envisioned by Captain .45-to-your-face-thricely though, not so much.  Of course, guys like that expect the home invasion to come from the US government, in which case they will lose anyway, regardless of the amount of training that involves shooting at the little Missus from under the duvet with a flashlight at 3am.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2014, 11:31:13 PM
Effeminate and gay.  If the leather outwear doesn't convince anybody, then the shaken but not stirred martinis certainly do.  PPK is a girlie gun, only suitable for cocktails over baccarat and officer suicides.

PPK Short. :yuk:

Of course, on the other side of the coin, you've got Track Suit's overcompensating Tokarev barrels. Which one do you think is going to declare virginity first with a Colt Python? :lol:
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 18, 2014, 07:48:12 PM

Actually, they're surprisingly common in Baltimore but it's usually a variant of the drug dealer violence meme, e.g., trying to rip off a dealer's stash and cash in his home by wanna be gangstas, etc.

The type of home invasion envisioned by Captain .45-to-your-face-thricely though, not so much.  Of course, guys like that expect the home invasion to come from the US government, in which case they will lose anyway, regardless of the amount of training that involves shooting at the little Missus from under the duvet with a flashlight at 3am.

He's a cop. Show some respect.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points