American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2013, 12:58:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2013, 12:50:34 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2013, 12:46:41 PM
It also works really well at short range  :secret:

Yeah but you can use anything at short range.

Oh, okay then :lol:

Like scissors? http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/shear_bravery_beats_guns_feds_d9BanDpupuVezePd6trYoM

I did not realize I had to specify I was talking about guns in the gun thread :P

Anyway scissors are too complicated to use, best to rely on the point and click interface a shotgun provides -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2013, 01:01:44 PM

Like scissors? http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/shear_bravery_beats_guns_feds_d9BanDpupuVezePd6trYoM

I did not realize I had to specify I was talking about guns in the gun thread :P

Anyway scissors are too complicated to use, best to rely on the point and click interface a shotgun provides -_-

I dunno man, this looks like it would be hard to use at short range...

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

A shotgun is not always the best weapon for a dainty woman to fire.  Recoil can be pretty punishing.  An AR-type rifle has very little felt recoil.

The claim that a ban discriminates against women is a bit over the top-- assuming that claim was even made-- but the AR has become a pretty popular weapon for women to shoot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2013, 01:09:03 PM
A shotgun is not always the best weapon for a dainty woman to fire.  Recoil can be pretty punishing.  An AR-type rifle has very little felt recoil.

The claim that a ban discriminates against women is a bit over the top-- assuming that claim was even made-- but the AR has become a pretty popular weapon for women to shoot.

I just thought it was silly a rifle was a good choice for self defense.  Generally they are used for sport with handguns being better right?

A shotgun would be my weapon of choice, aiming is for suckers.

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2013, 01:05:34 PM

I dunno man, this looks like it would be hard to use at short range...

Chicks like big guns. ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Neither does a .38, which is all she needs.

QuoteThe claim that a ban discriminates against women is a bit over the top-- assuming that claim was even made-- but the AR has become a pretty popular weapon for women to shoot.

QuoteGAYLE TROTTER [clip from Senate testimony]: "An assault weapon in the hands of a young woman defending her babies in her home becomes a defense weapon. And the peace of mind that a woman has as she's facing three, four, five violent attackers, intruders in her home, with her children screaming in the background, the peace of mind that she has knowing that she has a scary-looking gun gives her more courage when she's fighting hardened, violent criminals.  If we ban these types of assault weapons, you are putting these types of women at a great disadvantage–more so than men because they don't have the same type of physical strength and opportunity to defend themselves in a hand-to-hand struggle."

Because, you know, that happens all the time.  Joe Scarborough called her a jackass this morning.  :lol:

But hey, she's your people. Stupid is as stupid says.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2013, 01:11:03 PM
A shotgun would be my weapon of choice, aiming is for suckers.

If you're going to shoot an intruder in the hallway, might as paint the hallway walls while you're at it.

derspiess

I just thought it was silly a rifle was a good choice for self defense.  Generally they are used for sport with handguns being better right?

Maybe generally, but in this case you're overgeneralizing.  Sure, a bolt action hunting rifle is not going to be the best thing to use to deal with a home intruder.  But a relatively compact AR-type rifle isn't a horrible choice (and there are actually AR pistols that people use for this purpose).  An AR rifle with a 16" barrel and adjustable stock is pretty compact, you can use a 20 or 30 round mag so you don't run out of ammo like that woman did recently with her revolver.  And the 5.56mm round has some awesome stopping power (make bad guy go down fast) while not over-penetrating (not going through solid walls or said bad guy and into your neighbor's house).

QuoteA shotgun would be my weapon of choice, aiming is for suckers.

Drywall is cheap, eh? :D

For me it's a Glock 17 loaded with +P+ hollow point ammo.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2013, 01:29:50 PM

Just how many times do people break into your house?  If I am in a position to care about this I will gladly trade my drywall.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2013, 03:59:48 PM

Just how many times do people break into your house?  If I am in a position to care about this I will gladly trade my drywall.

That's the point.  I was just repeating a line used by a gun dealer who successfully sold a shotgun to a buddy of mine.

And a sheet of drywall is pretty cheap, IIRC.  About $15.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2013, 04:08:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2013, 03:59:48 PM

That's the point.  I was just repeating a line used by a gun dealer who successfully sold a shotgun to a buddy of mine.

And a sheet of drywall is pretty cheap, IIRC.  About $15.

But mudding and sanding is a bitch.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2013, 02:19:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 02:01:02 PM
rather than the Russkie/Kraut vibe it has had in the past.

Eastern Front fanboiism is so...Timothy McVeigh.

Stay American, dammit.
:blurgh: That reminds me, I need to get the new book out on the Korsun battles.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Maybe generally, but in this case you're overgeneralizing.  Sure, a bolt action hunting rifle is not going to be the best thing to use to deal with a home intruder.  But a relatively compact AR-type rifle isn't a horrible choice (and there are actually AR pistols that people use for this purpose).  An AR rifle with a 16" barrel and adjustable stock is pretty compact, you can use a 20 or 30 round mag so you don't run out of ammo like that woman did recently with her revolver.  And the 5.56mm round has some awesome stopping power (make bad guy go down fast) while not over-penetrating (not going through solid walls or said bad guy and into your neighbor's house).

QuoteA shotgun would be my weapon of choice, aiming is for suckers.

For me it's a Glock 17 loaded with +P+ hollow point ammo.

Yea but that 180 grain Roundnose Soft Point hitting an intruder at 2700 fps from a 30-06, would be hideous.