American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2016, 08:38:04 PM
Shot a 12-gauge yesterday for the first time in my life.  The hunting load was easy enough to shoot but the hotter & heavier shot self defense loads had a ridiculous kick.  Still fun to shoot-- shredded anything you shot.

You never shot a 12 gauge before? I'm surprised.

One of my fond memories as a teen was making the ultimate redneck video - my buddy had an old TV that didn't work right, just got one channel. We put it on an old truck bed he used out back for target practice (this is of course in the country) and I blew it up with a 12 gauge loaded with a slug, while he filmed it. It blew up real good.  :D Had a kick like a mule, of course.

That was years ago, I wonder where that movie is now. Probably long gone.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Once met a young woman who took a 12 gauge point-blank to the gut when her boyfriend showed up at her job, August 1993.

Buckshot erased most of everything involved with her blood flow, but since the force of the muzzle blast managed to bunch up most of her organs into her chest cavity and temporarily stanch the bleeding, she had to wait about an hour before she was finally able to die.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

She probably threatened him, and he just Stood His Ground.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on February 29, 2016, 05:36:04 PM
You never shot a 12 gauge before? I'm surprised.

I've never been a shotgun guy.  I shot my dad's 20 gauge (ugly bolt action hunting gun) a while back and my grandmother's .410 pump action (really nice gun, worth a decent chunk of change).  But shotguns never much appealed to me. 

QuoteOne of my fond memories as a teen was making the ultimate redneck video - my buddy had an old TV that didn't work right, just got one channel. We put it on an old truck bed he used out back for target practice (this is of course in the country) and I blew it up with a 12 gauge loaded with a slug, while he filmed it. It blew up real good.  :D Had a kick like a mule, of course.

That was years ago, I wonder where that movie is now. Probably long gone.

Blowed up real good.  Sweet.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I didn't know they had bolt action shotguns.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2016, 05:54:35 PM
I didn't know they had bolt action shotguns.

Yeah, there's a reason they're so rare.  My brother has a 20 gauge and a .410 from the same manufacturer.  They were made in the 60s.  Ugly and not worth much.

jimmy olsen

Fucking grim. :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/03/10/police-search-for-two-attackers-who-they-say-opened-fire-near-pittsburgh-killing-five/

'My whole family was massacred.' Police search for two attackers they say shot and killed six near Pittsburgh

By Mark Berman March 10 at 5:30 PM

Police in Pennsylvania are searching for a pair of attackers who they say opened fire at a backyard party in a Pittsburgh suburb Wednesday night. Authorities say the death toll had risen to six by Thursday — a tally that police said included a pregnant woman and her eight-month-old fetus.

No motive has been offered by authorities investigating the mass shooting, which also injured three other people, and no suspects have been identified. However, officials said it appeared this was not a spur-of-the-moment attack, and instead described it as a premeditated assault targeting specific people.

"It was an ambush," Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. told reporters Thursday.

Zappala offered a grim accounting of the attack, describing one attacker firing at people behind the house to drive them toward the home — and right into the path of another attacker firing a rifle at them.

"It was premeditated, it was calculated, it was planned," Zappala said during a briefing. "It's just a brutal murder. It's one of the most brutal I've seen. I've been the D.A. for 18 years, I haven't seen something like this during my tenure."

Investigators were looking at possible suspects, but they "don't have enough" to arrest or bring anyone in yet, Charles Moffatt, superintendent of the Allegheny County Police Department, said at a news conference Thursday afternoon. But he said police had not determined a possible motivation for the attack.

"It could be anything," said Moffatt, who has announced plans to retire later this month. "Everything is on the table."

The Allegheny County police said that a 911 call came in shortly before 11 p.m. Wednesday about a shooting at a home in Wilkinsburg, a small borough just east of Pittsburgh. Police said they found four people dead on the home's back porch — three women and a man — and another four who were injured. All eight had been shot during what appeared to be a cookout in the back yard, authorities said.

The man was shot and went down trying to get into the doorway, and the three women were shot trying to get over him and into the house, Moffatt said.

A woman who was injured in the shooting died at a hospital. Two men who were injured remained in critical condition Thursday, while another woman was treated and released.

Children inside the home at the time of the shooting were not injured, according to Moffatt.

Allegheny County officials on Thursday morning identified the five people killed as Tina Shelton, 37; Shada Mahone, 26; and three siblings: Jerry Shelton, 35; Brittany Powell, 27; and Chanetta Powell, 25. Authorities did not immediately identify a cause of death for them, though police had said all of them were struck by gunfire.

Zappala said the pregnant woman — identified later by police as Chanetta Powell — was due to give birth in May.

Moffatt told reporters that the medical examiner's office had officially deemed the unborn baby a homicide victim, which he said pushed the death toll to six.

"It just breaks my heart," Jessica Shelton, who said she lost three of her six children and two nieces in the attack and that one of the men in the hospital is her son, said during a tearful news conference Thursday.

Shelton mentioned that in addition to her relatives, there were other people — "three young gentleman" — who attended the cookout, and questioned how they avoided injury.

"My whole family was massacred," she said. "Why didn't these three guys get hurt?"

Zappala said that authorities believe "possibly one, maybe two people were targeted," while the other victims appeared to be innocent bystanders. He said that investigators were working through a number of potential theories behind the shooting and had "eliminated a couple of different possible motives."

Police have not recovered the weapons so far, but they found 48 shell casings at the scene, Moffatt said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives joined the investigation Thursday and was offering a $20,000 reward for help, according to Christopher Taylor, assistant special agent in charge of the bureau's Philadelphia division.

Authorities recounting the chaotic scene that unfolded Wednesday night said people fleeing the initial gunfire were driven into a hail of bullets from a second shooter.

"It looks like right now they were all fleeing toward the back door of the residence when the second gunman fired from the side of the yard," Lt. Andrew Schurman of the Allegheny County police told reporters at a different briefing after the shooting. "And they all seemed to get caught on the back porch."

Zappala said that the first attacker used a .40-caliber handgun to fire at people behind the house, while another attacker wielding what he called "an AK-47-type" rifle was waiting for them when they headed toward the home.

"They just pushed them toward the door, and right into the path of the rifle," Zappala said.

Photos from the scene showed a residential street littered with police evidence markers.

"This street is always quiet. There is nothing but kids on this street," Kayla Alexander, a local resident, told WPXI. "I'm shaken, so it's pretty bad."

This rampage is the latest in a series of shooting sprees that have shaken communities nationwide, coming just weeks after attacks in Hesston, Kan., and Kalamazoo, Mich. Since last year, mass shootings have erupted at locations as disparate as a holiday party in San Bernardino, Calif.; a community college in Roseburg, Ore.; and a church in Charleston, S.C.

"Wilkinsburg is a community filled with grief, shock and anger this morning," Allegheny County Executive Rich Fitzgerald said in a statement Thursday. "We share their grief and offer them our support in the days and weeks to come."

The community in Wilkinsburg, not far from affluent neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, has faced problems with its schools and grappled with poverty. Wilkinsburg has about 15,000 residents, and it is poorer than surrounding Allegheny County as well as the state; one in five Wilkinsburg residents are living in poverty, according to census figures.

"We are devastated and saddened by this news, and we will not be complacent and let our homes, our streets and our neighborhoods be taken from us," Patrick Shattuck, president of the Wilkinsburg Borough Council, said in a statement.

Shattuck said that Wilkinsburg residents awoke Thursday " as a top story on the national news and in headlines," and vowed that the community would continue to rally together in the face of the attack after the national attention faded away.

Michael Miller contributed to this post, which has been updated.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

They're as bad as drunk drivers.  They just won't die.

QuoteGun lovin' Florida mom says 4-year-old son shot her in the back

PALATKA, Fla. -- A north Florida woman told deputies her 4-year-old son shot her in the back while he was sitting in the back seat of her pickup truck.

25 Photos
America's favorite guns

A Putnam County Sheriff's Office news release says a deputy saw 31-year-old Jamie Gilt of Jacksonville behaving frantically inside the truck Tuesday afternoon and quickly realized she'd been shot.

The release says the woman told deputies her son accidentally shot her. He wasn't harmed and was reunited with family members. The Department of Children and Families will investigate.

I'd shoot her...on her back.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3484064/Pro-gun-poster-girl-shot-four-year-old-son-driving-Florida-boy-pistol-seat-truck.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailus

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

She has the makings of a Fox News commentator.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".