Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasputin

Quote from: Caliga on December 02, 2011, 09:14:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 02, 2011, 09:12:54 PM
I still need to pick up a SAIGA shotgun. For home 'defense'.  :menace:
You, my friend, need the Judge.

nice

im going to try quail hunting with that!
Who is John Galt?

JonasSalk

Quote from: Rasputin on December 12, 2011, 01:50:09 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2011, 06:20:11 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2011, 06:18:31 PM
For concealed carry. :huh:

What are the negative repercussions if your concealed carry is less than perfectly concealed?

in florida thats a crime

Yeah, in most states it's legal to open carry, but not South Carolina, Florida, Texas, and some others around the country.  In Georgia, OC and CC are treated as identical; there is no legal distinction made between them.
Yuman

Razgovory

Quote from: JonasSalk on December 12, 2011, 01:08:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2011, 01:23:47 AMThat doesn't disprove what he said.  Gun Crime is lower and lower from what year to what year?

rampĀ·ant/ˈrampənt/
Adjective:   
(esp. of something unpleasant) Flourishing or spreading unchecked: "rampant inflation".
(of a person or activity) Violent or unrestrained in action or performance

If it's going down, it isn't exactly unrestrained or spreading, is it, genius?

And most of the figures I see say it's at a nearly all-time low.

http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2010/06/16/a-crime-puzzle-violent-crime-declines-in-america/

The same phenomena is happening in Canada, our lesser-armed northern neighbour.  Who knows what the true reasons for the dramatic decline are--I'm not a sociologist or a criminologist, so I can only take guesses--but it doesn't seem to have much to do with the fact that people are carrying guns or not carrying guns.

Rampant is simply a characterization.  It may be rampant compared to another country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: JonasSalk on December 12, 2011, 01:08:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2011, 01:23:47 AMThat doesn't disprove what he said.  Gun Crime is lower and lower from what year to what year?

rampĀ·ant/ˈrampənt/
Adjective:   
(esp. of something unpleasant) Flourishing or spreading unchecked: "rampant inflation".
(of a person or activity) Violent or unrestrained in action or performance

If it's going down, it isn't exactly unrestrained or spreading, is it, genius?

And most of the figures I see say it's at a nearly all-time low.

http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2010/06/16/a-crime-puzzle-violent-crime-declines-in-america/

The same phenomena is happening in Canada, our lesser-armed northern neighbour.  Who knows what the true reasons for the dramatic decline are--I'm not a sociologist or a criminologist, so I can only take guesses--but it doesn't seem to have much to do with the fact that people are carrying guns or not carrying guns.

My hypothesis is socialization away from overt violence via education, by one of two mechanisms: directly affecting the propensity of people to commit violent acts by giving them more to (theoretically) lose or teaching them "coping" skills; or by removing them from environments where violence would be needed to solve problems, and feeding and housing potential violent offenders for the four years of their lives where violence would come most naturally, the late teens and early twenties; or by a combination of those mechanisms.

Also, more efficient policing and packing jails to the rafters hasn't hurt, in terms of rates of violence.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

JonasSalk

Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2011, 02:19:11 PMRampant is simply a characterization.  It may be rampant compared to another country.

Then it's kind of a pointless characterization if it's going to be so vague and you're not naming a country to compare it with.
Yuman

Caliga

Quote from: JonasSalk on December 12, 2011, 01:54:54 PM
Yeah, in most states it's legal to open carry, but not South Carolina, Florida, Texas, and some others around the country.  In Georgia, OC and CC are treated as identical; there is no legal distinction made between them.
:hmm: Meaning you can only openly carry if you have a conceal carry permit there?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Rasputin on December 12, 2011, 01:51:05 PM
Supposedy it's chambered to fire both .45 bullets and .410 shotshell.

MadImmortalMan

Heh. Do they make those dragon flamethrower rounds in .410?

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: JonasSalk on December 12, 2011, 06:22:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2011, 02:19:11 PMRampant is simply a characterization.  It may be rampant compared to another country.

Then it's kind of a pointless characterization if it's going to be so vague and you're not naming a country to compare it with.

Perhaps, I think it's pointless to create a crime graph for the US that goes before 1700.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

@MiM Dragon's Breath rounds you mean?  I know they make them for twelve gauge, but I dunno if it's available in other gauges.  AFAIK those rounds are basically flares.  My father in law was going to buy one once just for kicks, but said the rounds are ridiculously expensive.

MadImmortalMan

Yes. They're like six bucks each. It's more like a flamethrower. Doesn't go far, but lasts longer than you expect. And no "explosion" to work the action. (Which is good because you don't want a recoil with flames flying out the barrel. :P ) The one I shot I had to manually eject it.

Edit: Come to think of it, you don't want the thing ejecting while still spewing fire either.  :lol:

Anyway, it looked impressive as hell.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

JonasSalk

Quote from: Caliga on December 12, 2011, 07:16:28 PM
Quote from: JonasSalk on December 12, 2011, 01:54:54 PM
:hmm: Meaning you can only openly carry if you have a conceal carry permit there?

Meaning there is no "conceal carry" permit--it's just a carry license, period. The license is called a Georgia Weapons License (used to be firearms license, which caused weird situations where you could get in trouble for carrying a knife but not the gun, but we changed that in 2010).  The GWL lets you carry just about anything short of a grenade OC or CC--"concealed" or "open" carry is not even mentioned (rightfully so) in the legal code. It just says "carry."

To answer your question, yes. You can only OC or CC with the license. In a great deal of states, including Kenfucky, you can OC without a license.
Yuman

JonasSalk

Yuman

JonasSalk

Quote from: Caliga on December 12, 2011, 07:18:34 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on December 12, 2011, 01:51:05 PM
Supposedy it's chambered to fire both .45 bullets and .410 shotshell.

It is...but all the tests I've seen say the Judge is basically just a gimmick gun. It might be useful for home defense, but there are far better options for that and they're quite a lot less expensive.
Yuman