Perry Proposes a Flat Tax

Started by Faeelin, October 25, 2011, 11:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

ions - POLITICS
Perry's Flat Tax Plan Seeks Major Tax, Spending Overhaul
By Jim Angle
Published October 25, 2011

Texas Gov. Rick Perry's newly unveiled economic plan proposes far more than a flat tax. The Republican presidential hopeful would make sweeping changes in taxes and spending, including a goal of a balanced budget by 2020.
But the centerpiece is a flat tax of 20 percent for corporations and individuals.
Holding up a postcard Tuesday as he announced the details of his plan, Perry said "Each individual taxpayer will have a choice. You can continue to pay your taxes, as well as accountants, lawyers, under the current tax system we got or you can file your taxes on this postcard."

Perry's plan would preserve deductions for home mortgage interest, charitable contributions and state and local taxes.

It would also increase the $12,500 exemption per person. All that will make the tax less flat.
But for those who might be squeamish about leaping into an entirely new tax system, allowing people to choose which system to file under will be comforting.

"If you like the flat tax better, you can choose that," said Kevin Hassett, a tax expert at the American Enterprise Institute. "If you like the regular code better you can stay with that as well... The attraction really is that there's nobody anywhere in society that's made worse off by this plan."

That didn't stop the Obama campaign from launching an early attack, arguing that the Perry plan would "shift a greater share of taxes away from large corporations and the wealthiest onto the backs of the middle class."
But with all the deductions, a family of four would have to make substantially more than $50,000 to face any federal income taxes.

And one of the early proponents of a flat tax, Steve Forbes, said a family of four "would have to make a good sum of money before they get hit with the flat tax. So it's a tax cut for most people, not a tax increase."

But some analysts argue that offering a choice of how to file could also reduce revenues.

Joseph Rosenberg, a researcher of The Tax Policy Center said "the only way you would opt into the new system is if you'd pay lower taxes under that new system. So sort of by definition, this new hybrid system will result in less overall revenue."

And Hassett said, "Therein lies the problem, because if a lot of people flip to the flat tax, then since the rates are a lot lower, then you will lose a lot of revenue for high income people. And if high income people switch to the flat tax, but everyone else stays with the current code, then it might be that this raises a lot less revenue than you might think and then he's gonna have to raise the rates."

And that would certainly complicate Perry's pledge to forge a balanced budget at a time when Republicans are sharply focused on the nation's growing deficits.

Perry also tackles entitlements. Among other things, he would end taxation of Social Security income, a boon to seniors.

He would also allow young people to invest some of their taxes in private accounts if they wish.

Perry also pledged to work with Congress to raise the age of eligibility for Social Security and Medicare to match longer life spans. He proposed several changes in all entitlements aimed at fixing their unsustainable finances.

Perry was clearly swinging for the fences with Tuesday's proposal, which was intended to revive his efforts to win the
nomination.

And a flat tax, even one that isn't entirely flat, is a good way to appeal to Republicans because it is seen as a way to
ignite the economy and create jobs, the chief issue in the election.

That is why a flat tax is very appealing to Republicans.

"The flat tax is a much more efficient tax," Hassett said. "It should add a lot to economic growth, it should reduce unemployment."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/25/perrys-flat-tax-plan-seeks-major-tax-spending-overhaul/

Weren't we all concerned about the deficit and how a serious Republican was needed to save this nation from going broke? And now the Republican presidential candidates are proposing 9-9-9 and flat taxes?

Razgovory

That's cause Republicans aren't really concerned with debt.  It's a useful club to hit Obama with, but beyond that, nothing.  I feel sorry for the rank and file who really believe in balanced budgets.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

I already posted a thread on this and it has 7 responses!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 26, 2011, 12:25:01 AM

Bitching about it in his thread is a good way to make it beat yours. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Faeelin

My thread is better because I started it.

Viking

Quote from: Faeelin on October 26, 2011, 06:40:50 AM

My thread is better because I started it.

No, your thread is better because Timmy didn't start it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

An argument for a flat tax is to simplify the system.  Maintaining two separate, equally valid tax codes with all the bureaucracy that implies doesn't seem to sit with that. It also requires more work on the part of the individual taxpayer (or, for the well off, their accountant) to work out which system would be most advantageous.

This seems to have all the negatives of the current system and of a flat tax :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2011, 07:44:39 AM
An argument for a flat tax is to simplify the system.  Maintaining two separate, equally valid tax codes with all the bureaucracy that implies doesn't seem to sit with that. It also requires more work on the part of the individual taxpayer (or, for the well off, their accountant) to work out which system would be most advantageous.

This seems to have all the negatives of the current system and of a flat tax :mellow:
Yes, but it is typical of Perry that he would offer to double the complexity of the existing tax system and brag that he is simplifying things.  It says a lot about his supporters that they seem to think this wishy-washy lets-please-everyone-by-telling-them-what-they-want-to-hear proposal is even sane, let alone desirable.

I don't think this will be the nail in Perry's coffin, but I do think that it will bite him in the ass.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Rick Perry isn't a serious candidate anymore.  Just the fact that he could propose something so apocalyptically stupid is evidence of that.  I mean, I don't think that 9-9-9 is a good idea (although I haven't really studied it, I'm just not sure that it would produce enough revenue and I'm a bit kneejerk against sales taxes), but at least it is a legitimate policy.  What Perry is proposing is going to increase costs over at the IRS, unless the Paulites take over Congress and legislate the IRS out of existence.

It's like he's trying to scoop the flat tax people without alienating moderates, neither of which are especially interested in Rick Perry.  His base is people who think that Obama is the Antichrist and that the US needs a constitutional amendment to prevent anybody teaching anyone about evolution.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2011, 08:43:06 AM
His base is people who think that Obama is the Antichrist and that the US needs a constitutional amendment to prevent anybody teaching anyone about evolution.

But also people who just don't like Romney.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I wonder how Romney is feeling.  First Republicans are trying to replace him with Bachmann, then with Perry, then with Cain.  Maybe in November Alan Keyes would be the leading candidate of the month.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2011, 08:43:06 AM
His base is people who think that Obama is the Antichrist and that the US needs a constitutional amendment to prevent anybody teaching anyone about evolution.

Obama isn't the Antichrist.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

It's hard to pinpoint exactly which Perry misstep is the fatal one for his credibility as a candidate.  There was his opening salvo threatening violance against Ben Bernanke.  His bumbling confusion in the debates.  His flirtation with Donald Trump birtherism.  And now his opt-in/opt-out flat tax.

He is out of his league to a Palinesque degree.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Gups

Pretty sure it was his performance in the debates. The Bernake thing wouldn't necessarily ruin him with GOP primary voters and he was finished way before his dissembling on birtherism and the flat tax.

DGuller

Perry now says it was a mistake to participate in debates.  No shit!  :lol:  Perry's best strategy would be to just put his name on the ballot, and not do anything else to draw attention to himself.