News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Perry Proposes a Flat Tax

Started by Faeelin, October 25, 2011, 11:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

The complexity of the tax code isn't that it's tiered; it's that there are a myriad of potential deductions, each with their own requirements. You could have a progressive tax system and still figure out how much you owe on a postcard. Rick Perry makes Dubya look brainy.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

The man does have a nice head of hair.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on October 26, 2011, 10:10:31 AM
Perry now says it was a mistake to participate in debates.  No shit!  :lol:  Perry's best strategy would be to just put his name on the ballot, and not do anything else to draw attention to himself.

This was always his strategy in Texas.  Use the Republican machine to get the nomination and then just show up with (R) besides his name.  Unfortunately the National Republican Party does not regard Perry as its unquestioned leader like the Texas one does so he actually had to come up with ideas and campaign...both of which he is horrible at.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2011, 10:16:44 AM
The man does have a nice head of hair.

He is not called 'Governor Goodhair' for nothing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

His pose during the playing of National Anthem is pretty impressive too.  He does have good qualities, let's not go overboard with mocking him.

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on October 26, 2011, 10:18:45 AM
His pose during the playing of National Anthem is pretty impressive too.  He does have good qualities, let's not go overboard with mocking him.

:D

fhdz

Another item which is hilarious about Perry's tax "plan", given all the lip service paid to the middle class - the wealthy will take their best option (20% flat), the poor will take their best option (the current system), and folks in the middle will probably need to do their taxes both ways in order to figure out which one gives them the better deal. Thanks a lot, Rick! Doing taxes twice is like dating the Doublemint twins!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fahdiz on October 26, 2011, 10:39:36 AM
Another item which is hilarious about Perry's tax "plan", given all the lip service paid to the middle class - the wealthy will take their best option (20% flat), the poor will take their best option (the current system), and folks in the middle will probably need to do their taxes both ways in order to figure out which one gives them the better deal. Thanks a lot, Rick! Doing taxes twice is like dating the Doublemint twins!

I don't get why solid hard-working middle class Americans would have to do the calculaton but blood sucking millionaires would automatically know which is better.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2011, 10:47:41 AM
I don't get why solid hard-working middle class Americans would have to do the calculaton but blood sucking millionaires would automatically know which is better.

Their drinking of blood gives them magical financial powers the hard working yeomanry lacks.

DGuller

You don't?  Do you really not get it, or are you trying to make some kind of a point in a Yicratic way?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2011, 10:49:43 AM
Their drinking of blood gives them magical financial powers the hard working yeomanry lacks.

I don't think that has been conclusively proved.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on October 26, 2011, 10:53:06 AM
You don't?  Do you really not get it, or are you trying to make some kind of a point in a Yicratic way?

There was all that hullaballoo in one of the Warren Buffet threads about him paying what, 18% on total income? 

fhdz

Firstly, I didn't say they were blood-sucking, and secondly, do you really think that 20% flat with no tax on investment income would *ever* work out worse than the current system (assuming no tax evasion) for a millionaire?

Thirdly, taking the flat option would remove a lot of the deductions on which the middle class currently depends. You'd just have to do the math to see if it came out as a wash.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2011, 10:54:49 AM
There was all that hullaballoo in one of the Warren Buffet threads about him paying what, 18% on total income?

His total income is largely from investments, which are taxed at a low rate. Under Perry's plan, if I'm not mistaken, investment income would no longer be taxed at all.

EDIT: added "from", since it didn't seem to make it into my sentence like it was supposed to.

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2011, 10:54:49 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 26, 2011, 10:53:06 AM

Most of that 18% is from capital gains, which Perry wants to abolish as well. I don't think Warren will be taxed much at all.  :P