News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No more Rhinos in Vietnam.

Started by Razgovory, October 25, 2011, 07:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I could go for some tiger dick soup.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2011, 08:53:46 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 25, 2011, 08:35:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2011, 08:19:22 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 25, 2011, 08:12:28 PM
Time to harvest DNA, eggs and sperm for future cloners and artifical wombs, etc.
Why?
So the species can be revived at a later date.
I knew that you wanted to do what, but why bother?  An unexceptional offshoot of a troubled genus isn't really worth it, and it's not like the conditions will be right to reintroduce them in the future anyways.

After humanity is extinct, it would be a much better thing to allow evolution to determine fitness on its own.

While Earth will probably be a piece of crap in the future, I am sure Tim envisions planet-national parks where the Javan rhino can be reborn to roam free.

Siege

I always find funny how people worry so much about extinct species.

I mean, all kind of species are always becoming extint.
I belive you guys call it natural selection or something, and that something like 90% of the species ever existed have become extintc.
So what's the big deal?
Animals disappear all the time.
To conjure a non-white example of extremination, ask the nice little austronesians what they did with all the unique animals that inhabited the Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia.

It have been happening all the time.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on October 29, 2011, 09:16:05 PM
I belive you guys call it natural selection or something, and that something like 90% of the species ever existed have become extintc.
The figure is much closer to 100%.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2011, 08:53:46 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 25, 2011, 08:35:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2011, 08:19:22 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 25, 2011, 08:12:28 PM
Time to harvest DNA, eggs and sperm for future cloners and artifical wombs, etc.
Why?
So the species can be revived at a later date.
I knew that you wanted to do what, but why bother?  An unexceptional offshoot of a troubled genus isn't really worth it, and it's not like the conditions will be right to reintroduce them in the future anyways.

After humanity is extinct, it would be a much better thing to allow evolution to determine fitness on its own.

Trying to reintroduce a species through cloning is pretty pointless (assuming it has no intrinsic value to human life), but it may be worth it to save the genetic information for accurate simulations of the past, though.

Quote from: TonitrusWhile Earth will probably be a piece of crap in the future, I am sure Tim envisions planet-national parks where the Javan rhino can be reborn to roam free.

Once control over the Earth becomes absolute and our descendants no longer rely upon it, we'll have to deal with the moral problem of nature.  A very good argument can be made for elimination, really, with perhaps only some select species cared for (including humans; and even a program of pet-keeping has some problematic aspects).  Certainly leaving it to its own devices is abhorrent.

But that's very long-term.  In the meantime, poachers should be crucified and their bodies left up till they physically collapse, as a warning to others.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 29, 2011, 09:49:14 PM
Once control over the Earth becomes absolute and our descendants no longer rely upon it, we'll have to deal with the moral problem of nature.
See, but here we run into the problem that morality is silly and nonsensical, even moreso than transhumanist fantasies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

So what's the big deal?
To conjure a non-white example of extremination, ask the nice little austronesians what they did with all the unique animals that inhabited the Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia.

I'm not sure that natural selection covers "The Chinese think hunt the animal to extinctions because they believe the horn cures cancer".  Simply because something is known to occur doesn't mean it is a desirable thing for it to happen right now.  For instance, you will die, but I doubt you are interested in dieing right now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

So what's the big deal?

Jews almost disappeared, too.
What's the big deal?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Capetan Mihali

Our long national nightmare is over.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Slargos

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 30, 2011, 12:12:18 AM

So what's the big deal?

Jews almost disappeared, too.
What's the big deal?
almost :cry:

Razgovory

There will be no "almost" for you, Slargos.  Tick-Tock. :ph34r:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2011, 03:31:31 AM
Nor for you, my ill-fated compadre.  :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on October 30, 2011, 04:17:05 AM

As a Catholic, I am destined to live forevermore. :pope:

Josquius

Wonder if this bit of rhino horn will be sold for more due to being the last/extra vigorous/whatever...or if, more likely IMO, the killers are oblivious that animals don't grow on trees.
██████
██████
██████

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2011, 04:22:11 AM
Quote from: Slargos on October 30, 2011, 04:17:05 AM

As a Catholic, I am destined to live forevermore. :pope:
If burning in hell is what you consider living, then sure.  :bowler: