News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No more Rhinos in Vietnam.

Started by Razgovory, October 25, 2011, 07:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

QuoteVietnam's rare Javan rhinoceros was declared extinct in that area after poachers killed the last remaining animal in the country for its horns, the World Wildlife Fund said.

"Vietnam must see this loss as another warning sign of its looming wave of species extinctions," Dr. Barney Long, WWF's Asian species expert, said in a statement. "The single most important action that is needed to save remaining threatened species like tigers and elephants is protection."

The country had been struggling to keep the population alive amid widespread poaching that the WWF said was the cause of many Asian rhino species being brought to the "brink of extinction."

The WWF said people in certain parts of Asia believe the horns, when ground down and dissolved in boiling water, help treat typhoid fever or even cancer, the WWF said, noting that there has been no scientific proof of that.

The group said trying to bring the species back into the area won't work.

"Reintroduction of the rhinoceros to Vietnam is not economically or practically feasible," WWF's Asian Elephant and Rhino Program Coordinator Dr. Christy Williams said.  "It is gone from Vietnam forever."

So now, the Javan rhino only exists in one area in the world, according to the WWF.

The group reported that there is one population of less than 50 animals in the Ujung Kulon National Park in Java, Indonesia. Now, workers will turn their attention there, working with anti-poaching patrols to hopefully keep the species from going extinct.

"For the Javan rhino, we now have to focus entirely on one site in Indonesia where strengthened protection is needed along with fast-tracking the proposed translocation and habitat management," Long said.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/25/last-rare-rhinoceros-in-vietnam-killed-by-poacher-group-says/?hpt=hp_t2

End communication.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Sad, but not unexpected. :cry:

I thought the Javan rhino was already extinct.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

How can the animal be declared extinct if there are, in fact, still "less than 50 animals in the Ujung Kulon National Park in Java, Indonesia" ?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on October 25, 2011, 07:53:35 PM
How can the animal be declared extinct if there are, in fact, still "less than 50 animals in the Ujung Kulon National Park in Java, Indonesia" ?

Because Indonesia isn't Vietnam, in spite of domino theory?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Darth Wagtaros

NOt enough to maintain a population perhaps? As Marty would say, not enough breeders.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Time to harvest DNA, eggs and sperm for future cloners and artifical wombs, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

That's your solution to everything.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Perhaps you need training in reading comprehension?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 25, 2011, 08:12:28 PM
Time to harvest DNA, eggs and sperm for future cloners and artifical wombs, etc.
Why?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2011, 08:15:28 PM

Perhaps you need training in reading comprehension?

Are you available?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2011, 08:19:22 PM
Why?
So the species can be revived at a later date.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 25, 2011, 08:35:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2011, 08:19:22 PM
Why?
So the species can be revived at a later date.
I knew that you wanted to do what, but why bother?  An unexceptional offshoot of a troubled genus isn't really worth it, and it's not like the conditions will be right to reintroduce them in the future anyways.

After humanity is extinct, it would be a much better thing to allow evolution to determine fitness on its own.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

QuoteVietnam's rare Javan rhinoceros was declared extinct in that area

Not exactly well-worded, IMO, but there's your answer.  Though I thought that there hadn't been a confirmed sighting outside of Indonesia since the 1920s.

HisMajestyBOB

Extinct in the wild.

There is a possibility that they can reintroduce it, like what was done with the wild Przewalski's Horse in Mongolia.
However, its long-term success depends on stopping idiots in East Asia from using rhino horns (and other endangered species) to attempt to cure their weak libidos and small dicks.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help