Hungary: Thousands Protest Against Prime Minister Viktor Orban's Policies

Started by Martinus, October 24, 2011, 04:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteBUDAPEST, Hungary -- Tens of thousands of protesters have attended a rally expressing their opposition to the policies of Prime Minister Viktor Orban.

Speakers from several civic groups, united by the "I don't like the regime" motto, condemned a wide range of government measures, from restrictive media polices to changes in the tax system hurting the poor.

Balazs Denes, head of the Hungarian Civil Liberties Union, said the weak opposition parties in parliament, up against Orban's two-thirds majority, were also responsible for the problems affecting Hungarian democracy.

A spokesman said Hungary's "alternative president" will be elected at the next rally on March 15.

Sunday's demonstration was held on the 55th anniversary of Hungary's 1956 revolution against Soviet rule.

Good for Hungary!

It seems your democratic changes/vicissitudes are similar to Poland's, with some differences.

First, powerful social-democrats that got completely compromised for being crooks and swindlers.
This is followed by a massive victory for center-right parties with a reformist (some would say, authoritarian zeal).
Here's where our parallels diverge because your Fides remained united, whereas our center-right block got divided and led to a massive PO vs. PiS debacle (they both got to power in 2005 on similar platform, mind you).
Now, finally, a grass root movement starting what may become proper, European-style left (in Poland, it's the Palikot's movement, in Hungary the above).

Tamas

I am not sure what you are talking about, the news on the state TV did not cover this AT ALL

;)

Yes, it was a nice start, still just a fraction of people FIDESZ could mobilize for their demonstrations and rallies.
But it is telling that all dignitaries were all too eager to celebrate the 1956 anniversary abroad so they don't have to go before crowds. Orban himself had the traditional huge-ass FIDESZ gathering cancelled due to the EU council that day.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2011, 06:33:50 AM
I am not sure what you are talking about, the news on the state TV did not cover this AT ALL
Really???

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on October 24, 2011, 06:44:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2011, 06:33:50 AM
Really???

yep, watched their news program this morning. no mention of the demonstration whatsoever.

Neil

Why would a small minority be a threat to the overwhelmingly popular government?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Duque de Bragança

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Also, for the first time, like, evah (in Hungary, at least), the face of a political movement is hott:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSP81Che1X0

AFAIK she is a leftie political activist who agreed to do the clip. Rest of the people are also from the movement, several of them are noted actors/musicians and such.

Worth noting that the girl at 0:34 is the leader of the student organization going against the (in general much needed, but right now very chaotic) higher education reforms of the government.

I, for one, welcome the replacement of ugly old ex-communist farts with young females in the political left :thumbsup:

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2011, 01:46:40 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 24, 2011, 11:38:12 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 24, 2011, 11:08:28 AM
They don't have shores.
But they had an Admiral.
That's how we roll.
Well, he was an admiral for the empire that you people stabbed in the back.  It was only appropriate that Hungary lost access to the sea.

Caliga

Jesus, is that video recorded in Hungarian?  It sounds like baby talk.  Bar bar bar bar bar bar.  The Greeks were right. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on October 24, 2011, 07:35:30 PM
Jesus, is that video recorded in Hungarian?  It sounds like baby talk.  Bar bar bar bar bar bar.  The Greeks were right. :)

Keep in mind that they're practically Russians and it makes more sense.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien